DIY Alignment 07 Tahoe 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving all my R&D into this thread for my reference so its not skewed all over the GMT900 thread and anyone else that wants to follow along including the peanut gallery.

I have been having issues getting the local shops to do an alignment on my truck because it is "modified" from stock which is fk'n bullsh*t. Compared to all the other highly modified hunks of shit I see running around here. I do have one place left I can bust his balls and he will do it or let me rent the rack to do it myself with his mentoring. I am keeping that in reserve and decided to learn what I can on my own just becuz. :flipthebird:

And it's a new challenge and education which I enjoy and have something to feed my OCD and mental mechanical anguish. Or make it worse.

Anyway so I did basically 2" drop front and rear. Front was the flipped struts to under the arm mod with the grade 9 hardware. This absolutely throws everything out of whack. So I have just been eyeballing things and adjusting, road testing, trial and error process if you will.

So I just eyeballed the camber compared to the rear wheels and got close to where I thought it should be. Def a ton of pos camber had to be adjusted to get the tire close to square to the road. I still have a few degrees of adjustment left with the factory bolts if I need it. Hoping I will not be needing to go with the offset bolts.

I came across this very nifty little tool on Amazon, so far it is very fun tool to play with. And for 16 bucks, why not? The big thing about this tool is to get measurements off the rotor before replacing suspension parts so you can match the adjustment of the new ones close enough to get by until you can get an alignment scheduled. This tool feels good in your hands for a 16 dollar tool. (Mounted to the 12 oz beer crusher for size reference. Another $15 dollar tool that I love.)

39839bcd-4fef-4696-9065-3b81814d3a23-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I can say for sure is I spent a few weeks trying to dial the toe in by eye. That is a nightmare. I never got anywhere close. It would always be pulling one way or the other or steering wheel would be off center. You don't realize how much those adjusters on the tie rods move that wheel. Recently I got what I thought was real close. There is no way to get a tape measurement across the chassis onto the tire treads for this.

I was looking at some tie rod adjustment plate setups online. I was thinking of just making my own out of some strong ass laminated birch plywood we have at work. And I could notch the bottoms out to go over the tire bulge at the bottom. Something I don't see how the tie rod plates address unless you buy the ones with the wheel pegs that sit against the rim. That just seems to chinsey to me.

So I decided to use 4 washer jugs with string lines. Squared them up to the rear wheels and used that to adjust the toe. It worked pretty good! Real pain in the ballz to get the rear lined up square but once it is, you are dialed in! Before you set the lines up you can turn the tires lock to lock to knock the lock nuts loose off the tie rods (15/16" wrench).

Then set the steering wheel straight. You can then setup your lines and adjust your toe with a tape measure to the string line. You can just make the reach into the wheel well with a 5/8" wrench to adjust the tie rods. I just set a generic setting to 1/16" toe in on both sides. Remember the rear of the wheel moves out as well. So if you are off a 1/4" you only need to move half that. It does mess with your mind.

92c4d6d1-7e7c-4a94-9187-7fb8e17d6aeb-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I kept doing is going back to check the steering wheel was staying straight during this process. It does not lock into place like the older trucks. I plan on ordering this little guy for the final adjustments once I get the camber stuff sorted out.

51kBQpw3nQL._AC_SX679_.jpg

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using the camber tool to get an adjusted "0" degree reading to compare to the front. I did this "Ground 0" measurement on both sides before I moved to the front wheels respectively.

7db22861-3f82-4522-a752-2d23e1435052-jpeg.jpg31a6d11f-8412-47a8-8719-bdad3e33d462-jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comparison of both front readings, beginning with driver's side. Pass side is about half a degree off the driver's side. -1*+ compared to -1 1/2*+. After the toe in adjustment with the string line I still have a very slight pull to the right, especially on a road crown. But the wheel is straight and true on flat crown sections.

366788d8-1090-4df4-8365-b43ec3e032d8-jpeg.jpg0a433022-bfd7-4528-83e0-e8df5623a126-jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this diagnostic chart which may point to the issue at hand. LH -1 minus RH 1.5 = .5 neg value i.e. "Pulls right".

2f385c34-021b-42af-b2bf-036e24ed5bd7-png.png

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that I have not mentioned castor adjustments yet and that is a whole other bucket of bolts. And have no idea how I am going to tackle that other than trying to get the spacing difference on the locating pins adjustments on the alignment keys close as I can to the factory cam locks pictured here. From that my pea brain can make out there seems to be just a slight more factory castor on the passenger (L) side than the driver's side (R). So trying to keep that in sync with an actual dialed in camber setting close as possible.

1cd041eb-6d09-4e81-b7f5-0228f0a36886-jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be the more likely installed position looking from the front of the truck:

IMG_4978.jpg

Pin holes aligned:

IMG_4979.jpg

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I am trying to track down alignment specs. I found this generic one on Auto Zone website. If I go by this the cambers are damn close. But it says for 4WD it's an actual toe out of .20 degrees??? I am assuming that is on each side, not overall?

spec1.jpg

Using this calculator that comes out to a .11" out? ....

Which according to this is 7/64", just a hair under 1/8" toe out?

IMG_4980.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9