Disable DOD AFM From PCM GM V8 Tahoe 2007

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJPoertsch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello dear Chevy friends. My name is Markus and I'm from Germany. I myself drive a Tahoe 2007 which I had already presented in some posts here. Now I would like to personally switch off the DOD or AFM from the PCM. I've already seen a couple of Youtube videos where some do it with HPTuners. But that costs nearly $ 500 to use this software and hardware. I first bought Tech 2 to solve my problems.
Now my question can someone help me how I can solve this with my Tech 2 or maybe someone can do that over the Internet with remote diagnosis. I would pay something for it too. Only now spend so much money because of this one stuff and then I do not need it anymore that would be unnecessary. I am glad if you can give me tips or help.

Thanks and greetings from Germany Markus.

Reaction score
Range Technology makes an AFM disabler that plugs into the diagnostic port. It's a little box that stays plugged in, and while plugged in the AFM/DOD is disabled. It doesn't reprogram the ECU. Costs about $160 usd. Can be found on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
DJPoertsch

DJPoertsch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Range Technology makes an AFM disabler that plugs into the diagnostic port. It's a little box that stays plugged in, and while plugged in the AFM/DOD is disabled. It doesn't reprogram the ECU. Costs about $160 usd. Can be found on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18
Thank you.

But the Problem is that you would getting Problem with the oil pressure. Because in one video they will told that it is only an far option. The best would be to diable it direct in the ECU Or PCM . So this was my idea for

look this video

Greetings

RAFJR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello dear Chevy friends. My name is Markus and I'm from Germany. I myself drive a Tahoe 2007 which I had already presented in some posts here. Now I would like to personally switch off the DOD or AFM from the PCM. I've already seen a couple of Youtube videos where some do it with HPTuners. But that costs nearly $ 500 to use this software and hardware. I first bought Tech 2 to solve my problems.
Now my question can someone help me how I can solve this with my Tech 2 or maybe someone can do that over the Internet with remote diagnosis. I would pay something for it too. Only now spend so much money because of this one stuff and then I do not need it anymore that would be unnecessary. I am glad if you can give me tips or help.

Thanks and greetings from Germany Markus.

You can remove your ECM and send it in to have the AFM turned off. That's what I did.

OP
OP
DJPoertsch

DJPoertsch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Dibalosport programming device and switched off the DOD system with it. It was the easiest thing for me here in Germany. Because without a control unit I would have to walk to work. But thanks for your message.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the Range device for several years with no issues until I did a Black Bear email tune that disabled the system permanently. It costs similar money but the tune has other benefits like tightening up the shift points and wringing a bit more power from the engine as well. I was also able to use the tuning device to have a tune made for a second vehicle for a smaller additional cost.

In my opinion, the Range device is the way to go. In that video he explains that the only reason not to use it is if you have a failed AFM lifter that must never be reactivated. If you haven't had that happen, then the Range will work fine. There are no other negative side effects because it only switches off the AFM system and nothing else. If you do have a failed AFM lifter, the correct engineering solution is to either replace the failed lifter or better yet, remove the AFM hardware completely with a new cam and non-AFM lifters.

Edit: looks like we cross-posted. Glad you found a solution that won't require you to walk to work!

OP
OP
DJPoertsch

DJPoertsch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I asked my question here, I looked at all the options. I wanted to buy HP tuners first. But I found it too expensive to simply turn off the DOD. German companies also offer something like that here, but they want 250 euros for something like that. Ultimately I was able to buy a Diablosport on ebay that was activated, and then I checked the necessary updates and bought the right cable for it. Because it was quite cheap at 75 dollars but without cables. Everything has been going well for 1 year now and oil consumption has fallen sharply. I also use Mathy M, which is an additive from Switzerland that really works wonders. I can only recommend you. Is there for gearbox and engine. 10% of the total amount when mixing, and it helps extremely to reduce wear.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO mechanical, pickup tube o-ring, valve cover baffle, and VLOM gasket failures (among other things) will cause problems loooong before use of a Range Device will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10