2007 5.3 year compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjoyce81

Reaction score
Im pretty sure my 2007 Tahoe LMG, vin0, engine cam broke (or cam chain broke?). Just shut off on highway, threw a code P0340. Removed cam sensor, stuck my finger in, rotated the engine by hand, and couldn't feel or see the reluctor wheel spinning. Verified by looking down the oil fill, rocker arms not moving.
So, with 352000 miles - completely stock - AFM operational until this - I am pulling the motor.

I plan on deleting the AFM, and installing the proper kit too do so - cam, block off plate, lifters, ecm delete, etc. etc.

Question I have - IF the engine I have cannot be used, what years can I use to replace the one in my 07 Tahoe?
Is there any 5.3s that do not have the AFM/DOD setup that will work?

The cam sensor is in the front cover, and the knock sensors are on the side of the block (easy accessed).
I am not looking for any type of performance upgrades (other than the afm delete) or larger displacement - just a job that can be easily done - because its getting cold and I'm doing this on the street lol.

Thanks for any help

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the LMF is a 5.3 without AFM but they are not very common.

If you are going to pull the motor apart any 07-14 5.3 should work, you'll just need to delete the parts of it that you don't want, like AFM or VVT and keep the flex fuel injectors if you want to retain that feature.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure my 2007 Tahoe LMG, vin0, engine cam broke (or cam chain broke?). Just shut off on highway, threw a code P0340. Removed cam sensor, stuck my finger in, rotated the engine by hand, and couldn't feel or see the reluctor wheel spinning. Verified by looking down the oil fill, rocker arms not moving.
So, with 352000 miles - completely stock - AFM operational until this - I am pulling the motor.

I plan on deleting the AFM, and installing the proper kit too do so - cam, block off plate, lifters, ecm delete, etc. etc.

Question I have - IF the engine I have cannot be used, what years can I use to replace the one in my 07 Tahoe?

The cam sensor is in the front cover, and the knock sensors are on the side of the block (easy accessed).
I am not looking for any type of performance upgrades (other than the afm delete) or larger displacement - just a job that can be easily done - because its getting cold and I'm doing this on the street lol.

Thanks for any help
Yikes! That does not sound good indeed. That's remarkable mileage though. I wonder what happened to it? I would pull the valve covers too.

I can't think of any 5.3 that did not have AFM/DOD off the top of my head The 8 lug full sized Express Vans did not have AFM/DOD, but oddly enough, GM skipped the 5.3s on those, so you 4.8s and 6.0s as only options.

But I don't understand why it matters; if your engine is not rebuildable, just find yourself any Gen IV 5.3 and do the AFM DOD delete on it.

Gen IV means 58X reluctor (with the gray crank sensor), and the cam sensor on the front cover and knock sensors on each lower bottom side as you pointed out.

You could even mix and match internals if you had to. Like 24x reluctor wheel swap (black crank sensor on that one) to 58X and vice versa. Not that you should, but it's an option.

OP
OP
T

tjoyce81

Reaction score
Yikes! That does not sound good indeed. That's remarkable mileage though. I wonder what happened to it? I would pull the valve covers too.

I can't think of any 5.3 that did not have AFM/DOD off the top of my head The 8 lug full sized Express Vans did not have AFM/DOD, but oddly enough, GM skipped the 5.3s on those, so you 4.8s and 6.0s as only options.

But I don't understand why it matters; if your engine is not rebuildable, just find yourself any Gen IV 5.3 and do the AFM DOD delete on it.

Gen IV means 58X reluctor (with the gray crank sensor), and the cam sensor on the front cover and knock sensors on each lower bottom side as you pointed out.

You could even mix and match internals if you had to. Like 24x reluctor wheel swap (black crank sensor on that one) to 58X and vice versa. Not that you should, but it's an option.
I am not sure, yet, if the engine is not rebuildable. Just want to be prepared for that.
I too, am curious as to what happened, and I will certainly learn the answer as I tear it down.
The crank turns - but the cam does not. I will post the answer to these questions as soon as I can.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for any help
2007-2009 LMG or LC9, you could use an LY5 or LH6 motor and swap over your injectors to retain FlexFuel and not have to program the computer. The LH8 did not have AFM but is quite rare.

Most kits come with a camshaft smaller than the one in your motor, costing you 10-15 horsepower. The L33 camshaft is the exact same grind as yours minus AFM and is Gen III pattern.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You’re overthinking this. Grab an 08+ 6.0 motor from a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. They’re plug n play and only require the existing BCU to be re-tuned so the AFM/DOD is tuned out.

Low price, low effort, increased hp/tq, retains Reg fuel and it’s a factory No AFM/DOD motor dream swap.

OP
OP
T

tjoyce81

Reaction score
You’re overthinking this. Grab an 08+ 6.0 motor from a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. They’re plug n play and only require the existing BCU to be re-tuned so the AFM/DOD is tuned out.

Low price, low effort, increased hp/tq, retains Reg fuel and it’s a factory No AFM/DOD motor dream swap.
Wow, thanks a lot for this info!
By saying "existing bcm", you mean the engine computer - right?

Just so I'm straight - my existing (5.3 lmg) engine computer can be used with an 08+ 6.0 motor?
If so, does my existing computer have to also be tuned for the different injectors used in the 6.0?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yes, sorry I didn’t include the thread where another owner just did this. I believe he used hypertuners to remove the AFM off his BCM/ECU.

It’s an amazing flipping swap that also yields an upgrade for 5.3L owners and 6.2L owners can change cams and the tune for a little more to get the matching 403hp wrung out of the 6.0L on regular fuel.

It was another TYF member that posted the info. I don’t have to use it yet, knock on word, but I’m grateful too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar