Different DOD/AFM delete/disable questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased and AFM disabler module that plugs into the OBDII Port a few years back that corrected the issues for me. Would you recommend doing this anyway and eliminate the module I have now? Seems like a better solution.
My opinion is if you already have the ODB plug in disabler and you don't have to unplug it and drive around in AFM mode for a week or so before getting your car emissions check, I would just stick with it. I got rid of my Range device as I didn't want to have to unplug it and drive around for a week or more to get all my monitors showing passed for a successful emissions test.

I think a Black Bear tune is a step above all other options as you can get performance improvements, better shifting, etc. But the cost also reflects that benefit. It isn't cheap.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased and AFM disabler module that plugs into the OBDII Port a few years back that corrected the issues for me. Would you recommend doing this anyway and eliminate the module I have now? Seems like a better solution.

As @wsteele said, if you've had it for years and haven't had any issues using it, then there's no real reason to get rid of it. A lot of states or cities within states require annual emissions inspections and they need to plug into that port. When the disabler device is removed, AFM is reactivated after sitting dormant for so long and there are numerous emissions monitors that are reset, so the vehicle isn't ready to have its emissions tests. Also, there have been reports that the disabler draws power when the vehicle is sitting and it can drain the battery in a few days or week. Your area must not require these annual tests and your vehicle must not stay parked much or you wouldn't have asked.

Now, if a custom tune is in your future plans, then definitely have the tuner disable it in the tune. Then you can sell that plug-in module to recoup a little.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As @wsteele said, if you've had it for years and haven't had any issues using it, then there's no real reason to get rid of it. A lot of states or cities within states require annual emissions inspections and they need to plug into that port. When the disabler device is removed, AFM is reactivated after sitting dormant for so long and there are numerous emissions monitors that are reset, so the vehicle isn't ready to have its emissions tests. Also, there have been reports that the disabler draws power when the vehicle is sitting and it can drain the battery in a few days or week. Your area must not require these annual tests and your vehicle must not stay parked much or you wouldn't have asked.

Now, if a custom tune is in your future plans, then definitely have the tuner disable it in the tune. Then you can sell that plug-in module to recoup a little.

Good advice. I sold my Range device on eBay for $145.

S4NM4N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think it will be something I look into having done in the future. I live in NJ and we do have inspections every 2 years. Fortunately it is not something strictly enforced by any local PD. (and having family on local PD's is a good backup) I had not gone through inspection since, oh somewhere around 2012ish. That was before I got the Range. After I got it I did go through 3 times and failed because I had no clue it had to be taken out in advance and driven around. After the 3rd fail I wondered and researched and haven't been back since. That was 2018.
Thank you for the responces!!!

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that in my Yukon, I could disable the AFM by shifting in to Manual Mode, and selecting gear 5.

It runs/drives/shifts normally, except never transitions into V4 mode, per the dash display that shows instant MPGs and V4 or V8 mode.