Diff swap and a traction control issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now it has an Eaton TrueTrac.
Then it hit me: "Traction Control" ... the front tires are on the ground and stationary, the back tires are trying to spin. Of course that would make the TCS go bananas.
After I buttoned everything up I did a brief test drive and all seems to be well.

Am I right on this? Having the rear axle in the air and putting it in drive will make the TCS engage?
Yes, you are absolutely correct on this “issue”. Your lightbulb moment just arrived later than you probably had hoped. Luckily you realized the cause prior to tearing it back apart.

Do you have the specs, link or p/n info on that Eaton TrueTrac? Does that have any form of slip or is that a thing of the past with the TrueTrac?

OP
OP
JKaechler

JKaechler

Reaction score
I am using

Eaton 913A481​

its funny that Amazon says it does not fit this vehicle, when it clearly does. Runs good.

The TrueTrac does have slip. Its not a locker, but a limited slip.
The two biggest differences are that it does not require any kind of special friction oil to function. Its just gears.
and that it engages smoothly from open diff, thru tightening up gradually, and finally to completely binding up and causing the axles to be effectively locked.

This unit ran for a number of years in my 2001 Suburban, and many times on muddy roads and other places i experienced it doing that smooth lockup transition. Most especially during the super crazy winter of 2021. With only a 2wd and that truetrac I was able to be out in the area pulling people out of the ditch and delivering supplies to other homes.

During 90% of the time, it acts as a simply open diff. When you need it there is no controls to worry with, and no lurch or clunk as it comes on.

I dont think a TrueTrac would be the right solution for a serious crawler. If one of the back wheels completely unloads, as if it were in free air spinning.... the TrueTrac would unload and you have no traction. If there is any friction at all on the wheel with less traction then you are ok.

So for a mostly on road/occasional mud or field Tahoe it is the right choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019