Diff swap and a traction control issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKaechler

Reaction score
This weekend i took the G80 locker out from under my 2011 Tahoe LT 4x4! Hooray no more gov-bomb! Now it has an Eaton TrueTrac.

I hit one snag.
When I did my test startup and spin the wheels with the rear end still up on jackstands, I suddenly had a Traction Control light and the system hit the brakes. This happened several times in a row, I switched off the TCS by pressing the button and was able to verify that mechanically everything was ok.

What followed was an hour or so of mild panic, googling TCS issues, and pulling sensors to see if damaged..... . . . . .

Then it hit me: "Traction Control" ... the front tires are on the ground and stationary, the back tires are trying to spin. Of course that would make the TCS go bananas.
After I buttoned everything up I did a brief test drive and all seems to be well.

Am I right on this? Having the rear axle in the air and putting it in drive will make the TCS engage?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This weekend i took the G80 locker out from under my 2011 Tahoe LT 4x4! Hooray no more gov-bomb! Now it has an Eaton TrueTrac.

I hit one snag.
When I did my test startup and spin the wheels with the rear end still up on jackstands, I suddenly had a Traction Control light and the system hit the brakes. This happened several times in a row, I switched off the TCS by pressing the button and was able to verify that mechanically everything was ok.

What followed was an hour or so of mild panic, googling TCS issues, and pulling sensors to see if damaged..... . . . . .

Then it hit me: "Traction Control" ... the front tires are on the ground and stationary, the back tires are trying to spin. Of course that would make the TCS go bananas.
After I buttoned everything up I did a brief test drive and all seems to be well.

Am I right on this? Having the rear axle in the air and putting it in drive will make the TCS engage?
Doesn’t surprise me. Traction control looks at the speed of all the wheels and if one is going faster than the others, I would think it will think there is wheel slippage and engage traction control measures.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hit one snag.

100% was your problem. You didn't break anything but your stride. When I use my Tahoe as a lathe (don't ask), I disable TCS and StabiliTrak as well as unplug the speed sensor.

*EDIT* Hey- this was my 19,000th post! :party33:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hit one snag.

Yes, totally correct. The system saw no wheel speed from the front.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hit one snag.

Did you measure for backlash after moving the ring gear to the new center section?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. I know you said "dont ask" but I HAVE TO! How can a truck be a lathe?!?!?!?! :shocked:

It's not as extravagant as it sounds. I've had two separate occasions, both involving light machining of the wheels. Set the rear on jack stands and let it run in gear to spin the wheels while I smoothed the lips with a flap disc on a grinder. BTW, if you ever need to do this and idling in gear isn't fast enough to keep the differential locked, use a pipe, stick, piece of lumber, etc. against the seat to push the accelerator pedal and adjust the seat forward or back to adjust the speed. Or use bricks. But, using the power adjust of the seat gives better control.

Pics in build thread: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1323703

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum