DIC (Driver Information Center) Troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I copied this from another forum I subscribed to so I didn't have to type it again.

New to this forum. I just purchased (now that gas is $4.25 a gallon here in NY......what was I thinking..:emotions122: ) an '03 Yukon XL 2500 with the 8.1 and a tick over 61,000 on the odometer. I picked it up from a friend who was going to trade it in for an Escalade, so I paid him what the dealer was going to offer on trade which was fair.

Before I purchased the truck, I had the truck looked at by a shop that I do business with. All it needed was a fluid change, new belts and tires. I opted for a new battery since the original was starting to show signs of needing replacement.

I bought the truck and was having the work performed and like all things after you buy it, stuff started to go. The drivers window ceased to function, so I sourced a switch panel and replaced it. The dash / cluster had a few bulbs out, which could live with but after adding $50.00 of fuel, the fuel gauge started to jump from empty to 1/2 then to 1/4 then back to 1/2. I checked the sending unit and all was normal, so I had the cluster sent out to be refurbed with all new stepper motors and bulbs and a program/firmware update.

Reinstalled the cluster and all functioned normally, but for some reason, the DIC and steering wheel buttons stopped working. The puddle lamps as well as the reverse light illumination via remote lock / unlock stopped functioning too. I contacted the company that refurbed the cluster to see if the firmware update may have caused the malfunction.

Their response was since I replaced the window switch, a wire may have become pinched when the window switch was replaced because the DIC functions off the driver's door control module via a data wire.

I've also read that sometimes when components are replaced, such as door switches, the brain that controls that function may need to be re-flashed to accept the new component.

I've brought the truck back to the shop and will have them take apart the drivers door again to check for a pinched wire or unplugged connector, but does anyone have any other ideas on what to look for?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Rob

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the fuse box for a broken fuse. Check the one of the left of the dash as well as the one under the hood. A fuse may have just went it. That seems to be the logical answer in my opinion because nothing you described seems like it would cause that problem. I also replaced a gauge cluser, spliced in a DIC, as well as a few other items and had the same problems but it turned out that I blew a fuse. After the fuse was changed, all was good in the world.

OP
OP
Rob T

Rob T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did check all the fuses in the owners manual and even disconnected the battery again, but did not check the fuse for the driver door control module. The windows function, the seat memory settings function so it didn't occur to me to check. I had dropped it off to the shop before I received my reply from the cluster rebuilder.

I'm hoping it is just a simple oversight of a non connected plug. If not, then I'm going to get worried.

It's puzzling that the steering wheel controls for the DIC stopped functioning.

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had the same problem. I just went ahead and pulled them all anyway for good measure. Turns out I had three blown altogether. I was much happier when I replaced them. Hope it turns out that it is something simple for you.

OP
OP
Rob T

Rob T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update to the DIC. There was a programming issue with the cluster. How it was explained to me was (not sure if this makes sense) but I had an issue with the drivers side window switch. It stopped working altogether. So I sourced a switch from a used auto parts yard and made sure the codes on the back of the switch matched.

When the switch was installed, apparently the VIN information from the used switch (thru the drivers door control module) was sent to the cluster, so the truck who's switch I installed didn't have the programming. The VIN info in the cluster didn't match my VIN, so hence the steering wheel buttons not functioning.

The cluster was programmed with my VIN, tested and all is supposed to be well.

I should have the cluster back tomorrow.

I'll update then.

Venom One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, can't even change out a freaking window switch without having to program something?? That's ridiculous....it's just a window switch....

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, can't even change out a freaking window switch without having to program something?? That's ridiculous....it's just a window switch....

No it isn't, it's the door module which controls all the functions in the door.

OP
OP
Rob T

Rob T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I'm here to report that the cluster came back re-programmed and all functions returned.

Apparently there was a VIN mix up with the programming, so my VIN info was programmed into the cluster and all is well.

Don't think I can read too much into the used switch causing the steering wheel buttons to stop working, since we swapped switches after the cluster came back and the buttons still worked.

Thanks for the input everyone!

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All, Not sure if I have the same problem or not, but I bought a used tahoe with the steering wheel controls. the driver info 1 and 2 work on the door. but the switches don't. I took it to the GMC dealer and asked them. they said the switches are probley shot. I replaced both switches and still nothing. I ripped the dash open and steering columb, and everything looks plugged in and factory. Does any body know if the dealer can reprogram the dash with a tech 2 scanner or do I have to pull the dash?
PS this truck is pisser!!!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All, Not sure if I have the same problem or not, but I bought a used tahoe with the steering wheel controls. the driver info 1 and 2 work on the door. but the switches don't. I took it to the GMC dealer and asked them. they said the switches are probley shot. I replaced both switches and still nothing. I ripped the dash open and steering columb, and everything looks plugged in and factory. Does any body know if the dealer can reprogram the dash with a tech 2 scanner or do I have to pull the dash?
PS this truck is pisser!!!

None of the buttons on the steering wheel work? How about the horn? If just the DIC controls aren't working the wiring harness in the steering wheel itself could be open somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo