Troubleshooting help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dad_Cad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Figured I'd try this forum to get some advice on power issue before I give up and take it to mechanic.
BACKGROUND: last year bought 2016 tahoe ls and within 2 months was getting wierd power issue which was fixed by new battery. Now a year later same issue
PROBLEM: Disconnected trailer after backing in and afterwards car will not start. Acc, radio, lights work but ign won't. On rare occasions it will start and run very sluggish and with messed up idle, but now I'm getting a shit ton of codes and service lights
Codes: P0700, P0073, P07E8 and getting the following service warnings: stabilitrak, power steering, 4wd, transmission control module, trailer brake system.

Attachments

• 20231208_115552.jpg
    20231208_115552.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 2

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Some real knowledgeable folks here that will probably start with your ground cables and what kind of voltage your battery has with and without the rig running even though the battery is new. The grounds are known to cause tons of problems like you described. When you check them peel the cables back a little and look for corrosion on both ends. As mentioned some folks more experienced than I will chime in soon.

OP
OP
Dad_Cad

Dad_Cad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Some real knowledgeable folks here that will probably start with your ground cables and what kind of voltage your battery has with and without the rig running even though the battery is new. The grounds are known to cause tons of problems like you described. When you check them peel the cables back a little and look for corrosion on both ends. As mentioned some folks more experienced than I will chime in soon.
I appreciate the response. I remember hearing that the first time this happened. Just confuses me that all these codes and transmission issues started cause this

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the trailer module is in the back of the truck by the hitch, or close to it. Excellent place to put an electrical module......said no one ever. If you live in a salt area, you may have some corrosion that is causing back feeding/ circuit crossing with your trailer hooked up.

If you can find it, you could inspect and try unplugging it to remove it from the system. I say this because you said it acted up after a trailer was hooked up. I'm not an expert on this, but it may be worth a shot.

OP
OP
Dad_Cad

Dad_Cad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will look into this. When it happened after I bought it started doing weird with power things after trailer was disconnected. I've had trailer on in maybe few dozen times before. Now happens again after disconnected

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz