Unable to adjust settings on DIC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mfitz725

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Newbie here so forgive me if I'm trying to post this incorrectly.

I recently had my trans replaced on my 05 Tahoe. After I got it back from the shop I discovered I was unable to adjust the settings (headlight delay, door lock options etc) on the DIC. Pressing the fuel pump button has never worked since I got it so don't even know what that is for.

Does anyone know anything about this that might give me a clue about fixing this? Is there a reset process? Or anything I can do?

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and are you trying to use the "stick" in the instrument cluster or are you using the steering wheel controls to adjust the DIC???

Bill

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum who are trying to assist you.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where or what is this fuel pump button?

He's talking about the button on the steering wheel with the gas pump icon... the one that cycles through the fuel economy, distance until empty, etc.

Newbie here so forgive me if I'm trying to post this incorrectly.

I recently had my trans replaced on my 05 Tahoe. After I got it back from the shop I discovered I was unable to adjust the settings (headlight delay, door lock options etc) on the DIC. Pressing the fuel pump button has never worked since I got it so don't even know what that is for.

Does anyone know anything about this that might give me a clue about fixing this? Is there a reset process? Or anything I can do?

My vote would be to either check the connection of those buttons (you can pop them out with a pick or screwdriver if you're careful), or the clock spring in the steering wheel.

OP
OP
M

Mfitz725

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
He's talking about the button on the steering wheel with the gas pump icon... the one that cycles through the fuel economy, distance until empty, etc.

My vote would be to either check the connection of those buttons (you can pop them out with a pick or screwdriver if you're careful), or the clock spring in the steering wheel.
Thanks for the response. I'll check the connection but will have to look up the clock spring issue.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'll check the connection but will have to look up the clock spring issue.
them buttons get dirty inside and quit. bulbs may burn out but the button still works. so if the clock spring is bad you would also have a air bag light and no lights or function of the radio buttons.

them buttons pop right out, but way easier to unplug them with the air bag removed. air bag pops right off, you have two small holes on the left and right side, put a nail or awl or small punch inside the hole push in till you feel a spring loaded item, push it in then pull on that side. hold that side up and then work the other side. you got like 6 inches of air bag wire under there, so dont just rip it away. un hook the battery if you plan to unplug the air bag. you can just flip it over the top of the column and out the way wired up still.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if the clock spring is bad you would also have a air bag light and no lights or function of the radio buttons.

Not necessarily. It could be intermittent and starting to fail, but still have some functionality. When mine went bad, it would mostly work, but sometimes if I had the steering wheel at just the right angle, like turning on a freeway overpass and tried to adjust the volume of the radio, it wouldn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019