Dexcool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I always ran Dexcool in my '08 Burb until I recently swapped out the radiator for a Cold Case all aluminum radiator.

Cold Case actually tells you to run the old school green antifreeze.

I thoroughly flushed the entire cooling system before making the switch.

I just found it interesting that they tell you to run the green stuff.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always ran Dexcool in my '08 Burb until I recently swapped out the radiator for a Cold Case all aluminum radiator.

Cold Case actually tells you to run the old school green antifreeze.

I thoroughly flushed the entire cooling system before making the switch.

I just found it interesting that they tell you to run the green stuff.
Do they at least tell you why or are you just supposed to blindly do what they say? I mean, it’s circulating through your engine as well as their radiator. What exactly do they say about Dexcool? If it was me, I’d still run Dexcool. It’s what the engine is designed to run.

edit: I looked at their faq’s and they say “aluminum doesn’t seem to hold up well with orange coolants” which I find kind of bs since aluminum is throughout the cooling systems of our trucks including the blocks on plenty of ls engines. Sounds like bias to me.

Last edited:

kbuskill

Reaction score
Do they at least tell you why or are you just supposed to blindly do what they say? I mean, it’s circulating through your engine as well as their radiator. What exactly do they say about Dexcool? If it was me, I’d still run Dexcool. It’s what the engine is designed to run.

edit: I looked at their faq’s and they say “aluminum doesn’t seem to hold up well with orange coolants” which I find kind of bs since aluminum is throughout the cooling systems of our trucks including the blocks on plenty of ls engines. Sounds like bias to me.

Not sure what their exact reasoning is.

I think they won't warranty the radiator if you run orange coolant and since I don't have a warranty on anything else in the cooling system I figured what is the worst that could happen.

I ran green coolant for years in many other vehicles with aluminum heads without any issues so it doesn't worry me.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think they won't warranty the radiator if you run orange coolant and since I don't have a warranty on anything else in the cooling system I figured what is the worst that could happen.

I ran green coolant for years in many other vehicles with aluminum heads without any issues so it doesn't worry me.
I didn’t see anything in their info that said they won’t warranty it, just that they recommend the green stuff. Not require it. All radiators are aluminum too, just the tank parts aren’t in most. I heard all-aluminum radiators have a high failure rate so maybe they want something to blame it on if it does. IDK.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think it's a CYA thing. First off, I don't think one can accurately categorize all of "those" coolants as "orange coolants". Second, I don't think the original versions of Dexcool (from what- two decades ago?) or the aftermarket equivalents exist in any form. As far as I've seen, they're all "safe" now. I can't recall the last time I saw the Dexcool mud or the corrosion inside an engine from it.

There are various grades and alloys of aluminum, so maybe they meant their aluminum doesn't hold up well with "orange coolants". But I really doubt they're using anything exotic for their tanks that is sensitive to a particular type of antifreeze.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum itself is pretty corrosion proof, unfortunately also very soft. It is some of the other stuff they alloy with it to obtain the strength, ductility, weldability, etc. etc. etc., that can make it very prone to corrosion.

My guess is the radiator manufacturer knows the acidic composition of Dexcool attacks the alloy they choose to use in their radiators.

Given the heads and blocks of many GM vehicles are aluminum, I am guessing GM chose the right alloy for Dexcool compatibility. I know, after 14 years of continuous use with Dexcool and only two flush/refills, the inside of my cooling system looks pretty darn clean.

John Day

Reaction score

aluminum radiator cost?
crate engine cost?

kbuskill

Reaction score
aluminum radiator cost?
crate engine cost?

Point taken, but my truck already has 263k miles on it so if the antifreeze takes it out, which is highly unlikely, then I guess I'll have an excuse to swap a 6.0/6.2 in... lol

No telling how many miles it will have before the antifreeze would have time enough to actually create an issue.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Point taken, but my truck already has 263k miles on it so if the antifreeze takes it out, which is highly unlikely, then I guess I'll have an excuse to swap a 6.0/6.2 in... lol

No telling how many miles it will have before the antifreeze would have time enough to actually create an issue.

I think you have the odds in your favor. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667