Denali AWD driving off road.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Forgot to mention after 6 Mo w/o rain here in CA the 1st real downpour make all the roads slick as snot from petroleum residue. That w/ the majority of drivers on Summer tires makes rush hour hilarious.

Have to agree that a truck with 2WD/AWD on the dash would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya it's to rain real good here pretty soon and we will see a car off the highway about every 1/2 mile or less

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is great to have all these different choices available to us to select, and to have the freedom to choose what works best for us and our individual environments. (Assuming that we can actually afford our first choice, of course. ;) )

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
On the AWD, the transfer case acts like a 3rd differential so the tires don't protest during turns on the street.

This topic is interesting, I have an 08 xl1500 awd. Is the front diff a gov lock like the rear or simply an open diff? I realize the transfer case has a planetary but im unaware of it's purpose, I would think the front diff would manage unequal travel distance while turning and maybe the transfer case planetary would manage rear wheel spin with front wheel traction? Im going to try and find some more answers as i will be using the denali extensively this ski season in mammoth. Great topic though, and to the OP off roading a xl1500, more power to you! How would it do in blow sand like pismo beach?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This topic is interesting, I have an 08 xl1500 awd. Is the front diff a gov lock like the rear or simply an open diff? I realize the transfer case has a planetary but im unaware of it's purpose, I would think the front diff would manage unequal travel distance while turning and maybe the transfer case planetary would manage rear wheel spin with front wheel traction? Im going to try and find some more answers as i will be using the denali extensively this ski season in mammoth. Great topic though, and to the OP off roading a xl1500, more power to you! How would it do in blow sand like pismo beach?

The front is open and am not aware of anyone making a locker for it. Seems to be a regular criticism but do not see too many actual users complaining. The purpose of the AWD planetary is to allow the front and rear wheels move more independently of each other. When a 4x4 (engaged) tries to turn on pavement, such as turning in a parking lot, the front axle and tires groan in protest as they are more rigidly locked with the rear axle and all want to turn at the same speed. The AWD TC allows more independence.

Way back in 2013, TFL Truck on YouTube tested an AWD Sierra Denali and while they complained about AWD, it did everything they asked of it while off-roading.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way back in 2013, TFL Truck on YouTube tested an AWD Sierra Denali and while they complained about AWD, it did everything they asked of it while off-roading.

I wish they would have tested the GMT800 AWD Sierra Denali, those had the really good transfer case that had a viscous clutch in the AWD case that was a 60/40 split during normal operation (like the gmt900), but mechanically could sent 100% power to the front or rear axle, instead of how the GMT900 uses braking system to try and get the power flow where it needs to be. I wonder why they stopped with the NP149 t-case, it was a MUCH better unit.

Reaction score
I had a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was AWD and it used a viscous coupler type transfer case. It went anywhere I needed it to go in the snow.

That being said, I've only used 4hi in my 01 Yukon a couple of times in the snow, when it was deep and unplowed. Otherwise I or the wife would use it in Auto when there was snow.

With the Denali, I wanted the 6.2l and figured with the AWD my wife wouldn't have to mess with switching it when it needs it. We've only had it 1 winter and it's done fine so far.

Tires play a big part too. My 01 has AT tires. The Denali has the OE type 20" all season Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza all season. I want to get AT tires for it, but I still have 9/32 tread all the way around.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I had a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was AWD and it used a viscous coupler type transfer case. It went anywhere I needed it to go in the snow.

That being said, I've only used 4hi in my 01 Yukon a couple of times in the snow, when it was deep and unplowed. Otherwise I or the wife would use it in Auto when there was snow.

With the Denali, I wanted the 6.2l and figured with the AWD my wife wouldn't have to mess with switching it when it needs it. We've only had it 1 winter and it's done fine so far.

Tires play a big part too. My 01 has AT tires. The Denali has the OE type 20" all season Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza all season. I want to get AT tires for it, but I still have 9/32 tread all the way around.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

It is worth researching how an actual "snow tire" works. I was unaware that they are designed to fill/pack the tread voids with snow and not necessarily "shed" the snow. It is the snow on snow contact that creates the traction. Agressive tread design associated with AT tires dont perform as well.Im not trying to rain on what works for you, but if the denali never see's mud/rocks maybe an actual snow tire will be quieter/smoother and provide better traction on packed snow, go into your tire shop and ask to see an actual snow tire just to check one out.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is worth researching how an actual "snow tire" works. I was unaware that they are designed to fill/pack the tread voids with snow and not necessarily "shed" the snow. It is the snow on snow contact that creates the traction. Agressive tread design associated with AT tires dont perform as well.Im not trying to rain on what works for you, but if the denali never see's mud/rocks maybe an actual snow tire will be quieter/smoother and provide better traction on packed snow, go into your tire shop and ask to see an actual snow tire just to check one out.
That’s how snow socks work too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike_16_denali