Denali AWD driving off road.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand completely. I've driven both now extensively. And if you really want to grind it out, then the 4x4 is the way to go. If you want to play around in the local mudholes again the 4x4 is what you want.

But you show me a place you want to go, and i can get there too. With a Bose stereo, plenty of room and a pretty mature lady beside me who is traveling in comfort.

To each there own.

I've moved on.

I get there in style too with my 4x4, SLT not Denali style! ;)

Yeah, I'm a little confused, too. It's not like I'm roughing it in my Suburban. I call my Suburban 2500 3LT my Conan the Barbarian wearing a tux.

Leather, sunroof, power folding/tumbling middle row seats, nav, Bose, quad heated seats, memory seating, power tailgate, heated washer fluid, video system, oh, and I can pull an 8600-lb trailer and have a max GVWR of 16,000 lbs. ;)

Compared to my Sierra Denali, the only thing I'm missing is the heated steering wheel. And my Denali doesn't have the nav/touchscreen.

I've gotten into more trouble with my Denali than my Suburban. I've actively tried to get the Suburban stuck, and have not. The extra 1000 lbs and no center diff make for a better snow/offroad experience.

Reaction score
Third center differential? I thought they had transfer cases

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
D

Dingus mcghee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get it. I do.

But look, I can drive in comfort, convenience, and style. And I can drive anywhere.

B!$ch please.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it. I do.

But look, I can drive in comfort, convenience, and style. And I can drive anywhere.

B!$ch please.

And I can do the same in comfort, convenience and style. I have all the same options/convenience features you have. In fact, I'd wager I have more goodies than you do.

But I can also drive more places, and I can tow more. I have a payload rating over 2000 lbs, freefloated axles, and a beefier drivetrain.

And how do those low-profile tires work for you on rocky terrain? Those wheels are awfully expensive to replace. I'll take my 75 aspect ratio tires, especially offroad.

And do you have these?

9PqygXp.jpg

4EupBI4.jpg

Can yours do this?

Hn7XV61.jpg

No, that's right, you only have a half-ton. Lower payload, lower towing capacity. 2000 lbs less max GCWR, 1700 lbs less trailer towing, and over 500lbs less payload.

One last thing - not only don't I have to get out to "lock the hubs," or back up to engage 4wd properly, I have an "Auto" 4wd setting which puts the system in standby. I'm in 2wd, with the commensurate less wear and tear and better mileage, but if the rear wheels start to slip, the fronts are instantly engaged.

I'm 42. I can easily get way off the beaten path in this thing. And do it without getting out to lock hubs or back up and whatnot to engage and disengage four wheel drive. I let the young guys do that!

4WD trucks have come a ways. You might want to read up before making ignorant statements.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dingus mcghee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And I can do the same in comfort, convenience and style. I have all the same options/convenience features you have. In fact, I'd wager I have more goodies than you do.

But I can also drive more places, and I can tow more. I have a payload rating over 2000 lbs, freefloated axles, and a beefier drivetrain.

And how do those low-profile tires work for you on rocky terrain? Those wheels are awfully expensive to replace. I'll take my 75 aspect ratio tires, especially offroad.

And do you have these?

9PqygXp.jpg

4EupBI4.jpg

Can yours do this?

Hn7XV61.jpg

No, that's right, you only have a half-ton. Lower payload, lower towing capacity. 2000 lbs less max GCWR, 1700 lbs less trailer towing, and over 500lbs less payload.

One last thing - not only don't I have to get out to "lock the hubs," or back up to engage 4wd properly, I have an "Auto" 4wd setting which puts the system in standby. I'm in 2wd, with the commensurate less wear and tear and better mileage, but if the rear wheels start to slip, the fronts are instantly engaged.

4WD trucks have come a ways. You might want to read up before making ignorant statements.

Looks like a nice ride bro.

I like it.

I guess I don't have the same axle rating. But I do have the 6,2l engine.

I use. It too.

OP
OP
D

Dingus mcghee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a little confused, too. It's not like I'm roughing it in my Suburban. I call my Suburban 2500 3LT my Conan the Barbarian wearing a tux.

Leather, sunroof, power folding/tumbling middle row seats, nav, Bose, quad heated seats, memory seating, power tailgate, heated washer fluid, video system, oh, and I can pull an 8600-lb trailer and have a max GVWR of 16,000 lbs. ;)

Compared to my Sierra Denali, the only thing I'm missing is the heated steering wheel. And my Denali doesn't have the nav/touchscreen.

I've gotten into more trouble with my Denali than my Suburban. I've actively tried to get the Suburban stuck, and have not. The extra 1000 lbs and no center diff make for a better snow/offroad experience.

Conan in a tux?

I love it lol!

I've got James Bond in denim lol!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Here in SoCal rain is scarce and the constant is traffic. Went w/ AWD on our NNBS again for the sole reason of control in unsuspecting situations. There’s countless situations when we’ve had lakes on our highways and the AWD caught it before we knew it was there. It really makes sense w/ the 6.2L in rain as it’s next to impossible to spin the tires.

When most of the traffic drives like Mr. Wheeler, AWD is a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave01

Reaction score

I tend to agree with you, like having the option of choosing the mode I'm using at a particular time. I've always thought that going to non-switchable AWD was a concession they made to a big part of their customer base who doesn't want to know about 4WD/AWD, doesn't want to push any buttons, just wants the traction and safety of AWD. I'd rather have control of my drivetrain.

You guys both have awesome, capable vehicles! And the OP wasn't saying anything bad about 4WD, just likes his AWD ride right now.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In bad weather, snow, rain, ice, I would prefer AWD or 4wd... Down where I live, we get rain, but hardly any of the other 2... If I lived where it snowed or iced frequently I would get an AWD or 4wd for the safety factor... The 2wd where I am is fine and does what I need, 4wd would be nice sometimes but for the miles I do a week, the fuel consumption on 2wd is better for me. I think its all knowing where you live, what your normal drive consists of. My parents have a AWD 13 yukon denalli and man does that sucker scoot.. Grip is amazing.... I fall into the category and like the selection options

The traction control nanny will get a 2wd through some stuff you wouldn't think possible... as much as we hate the nanny there is a few good uses for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk