Denali AWD driving off road.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doc5339

Reaction score
I'll say this: another thread has this thing called "over landing" mentioned. Never heard of it before. But that's sort of what we do. My son in law drives a land rover discovery or his ram 4x4 and we go over landing basically.

Once I learned how to drive the denali AWD. I don't have any issue getting where we want to go. I've got way more room (me and the wife sleep in it) and way more comfort.

Andi can keep up with the kids and their toys just fine.
Do you drive the Denali up and over many mountain passes? Planning to take mine to Colorado this summer and a bit concerned about not having the low range transfer case available.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you drive the Denali up and over many mountain passes? Planning to take mine to Colorado this summer and a bit concerned about not having the low range transfer case available.

I lived in Colorado for 10 years, and did quite a bit of offroading. Are you trail riding west of Denver, or are you doing something like the Alpine Loop?

If you're going to be just riding trails, and not doing hardcore stuff, then you should be fine.

One of the biggest benefits of the two-speed transfer case is descending steep grades. It allows you to use the brakes sparingly. If you're going to attack Engineer Pass, for example, you better plan extra stops on the descent to let your brakes cool.

It's one thing descending a steep 50- or 100-foot hill. Sure, you can do it entirely with your brakes. But long, steep grades going down hundreds or even a few thousand feet in elevation? That's a lot of potential energy that needs to be absorbed. I had a 5-speed manual and the 2-speed transfer case. I had 10 gear ratios to choose from and could pick the gear that allowed me to descend without touching either pedal.

Additionally, I've never been a fan of the half-ton braking systems on GM trucks. I they're under-braked and prone to premature wear/failure. So stressing it out on long steep grades could be problematic.

doc5339

Reaction score
I lived in Colorado for 10 years, and did quite a bit of offroading. Are you trail riding west of Denver, or are you doing something like the Alpine Loop?

If you're going to be just riding trails, and not doing hardcore stuff, then you should be fine.

One of the biggest benefits of the two-speed transfer case is descending steep grades. It allows you to use the brakes sparingly. If you're going to attack Engineer Pass, for example, you better plan extra stops on the descent to let your brakes cool.

It's one thing descending a steep 50- or 100-foot hill. Sure, you can do it entirely with your brakes. But long, steep grades going down hundreds or even a few thousand feet in elevation? That's a lot of potential energy that needs to be absorbed. I had a 5-speed manual and the 2-speed transfer case. I had 10 gear ratios to choose from and could pick the gear that allowed me to descend without touching either pedal.

Additionally, I've never been a fan of the half-ton braking systems on GM trucks. I they're under-braked and prone to premature wear/failure. So stressing it out on long steep grades could be problematic.
Thanks, not planning on the Alpine Loop. I fully appreciate the benefits of a 2-speed transfer case and that is why I have been asking so many questions regarding the Denali (Escalade) AWD real-world capabilities. I really do not feel like buying a new (used) 4WD with low range when my Denali is perfectly fine for 99.5% of the driving we will be doing. All of my questions are centered around the 0.5% of off-roading I would "like" to do.

Based on what I have been reading, looks like Ophir should be fine other than the tight shelf road. Last time I did Imogene Telluride-to-Ouray in a 2020 Defender 110 S (which was great), pretty sure than Denali would not make it, at least not intact.

Last edited:

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@doc5339

The AWD system is less capable than a 4wd system.

As you see in my sig, I have both. The Denali is surprisingly lame in low-traction scenarios. I guess it's because of the third diffential in the driveline that it behaves more like a one-wheeler than a two-wheeler.

And make sure you turn both the Stabilitrak AND traction control off. Press and hold the button for 5 seconds. Last thing you want is the computer cutting engine power right when you need to maintain momentum slogging through some snow or mud.

Confirm that you have the rear locker - RPO code G80. That will at least help if you start to get stuck. It only locks below 20mph and if the difference in rear wheel speeds exceeds 100-120 rpm.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing too hardcore, Ophir Pass and would like to do Imogene Pass but not sure the Denali is up to it. Might do some testing in Uwharrie National Forest on the easy-moderate sections.
I think you'll be just fine for both if they're not too muddy. I was even thinking of doing Black Bear Pass if I ever get out that way! I've seen 2500 and even 1-tons do it so our little Yukon XLs ought to be able as well! LOL

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be just fine for both if they're not too muddy. I was even thinking of doing Black Bear Pass if I ever get out that way! I've seen 2500 and even 1-tons do it so our little Yukon XLs ought to be able as well! LOL
I did Black Bear in a stock '07 LR3 that had factory front, rear AND center electronic lockers. I don't think I would do it in a stock GMT900. Beautiful drive though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts