Dash lighting so dim can't read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewder

Reaction score
Hello Forum!

2017 with 41k on the clock... 'new to me' for about 3 months now.

Out of the blue, the dash lighting turns so dim we can't read it.. The odd thing is that it will (while driving) just turn on to normal brightness... then in a few minutes go ultra dim again. All of the radio/HVAC functions work just fine, just with very little/no LED lighting. We've owned it for a few months and this is new behavior.

Due to it's age, and what appears to be the original battery, I'm thinking the easiest "step 1" is to replace the battery. I also have felt that from day one, the starting crank is weak but haven't any electrical issues until now.

Has this happen to anyone else?
//Brew

dpollak81

Reaction score
Yeah if it’s an original battery I would start there. Ours was going bad for a couple of months but kept testing “good” but we had some wierd things and a couple of instances of the car not starting.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not get anymore then 3 years on my battery so you are definitely due.

OP
OP
B

Brewder

Reaction score
Well... I am an idiot.. but at least I'm an idiot with a brand new battery!! hahahah...

As it turns out, the dimmer "rocker" switch was turned to the lowest position during a recent detailing of the interior.. In my haste to assume the worse, I didn't follow my normal troubleshooting 101 type actions and went straight to the battery/alternator.

So yeah, I'm an idiot but an idiot with a new battery! :)

//Brew

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably were due for new battery any way.

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my dimmer settings in my truck sometimes stays DIM for a few hours before it finally realizes it’s day light out. I am under the impression the sensor behind mirror or that bubble on the dash is dirty and just needs some windex and a wipe

TXNavyGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Forum!

2017 with 41k on the clock... 'new to me' for about 3 months now.

Out of the blue, the dash lighting turns so dim we can't read it.. The odd thing is that it will (while driving) just turn on to normal brightness... then in a few minutes go ultra dim again. All of the radio/HVAC functions work just fine, just with very little/no LED lighting. We've owned it for a few months and this is new behavior.

Due to it's age, and what appears to be the original battery, I'm thinking the easiest "step 1" is to replace the battery. I also have felt that from day one, the starting crank is weak but haven't any electrical issues until now.

Has this happen to anyone else?
//Brew
I have a similar problem. New battery. When driving, the dash lights dim when I'm in the shade, turned away from the sun, and then brighten when I turn into the sun. What could be making it do this.

TXNavyGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. 2017 Tahoe LT. New battery. When driving, the dash lights dim when I'm in the shade, turned away from the sun, and then brighten when I turn into the sun. What could be making it do this? Very annoying when trying to read my navigation map. I can't see it when it dims.

slickbrave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You probably were due for new battery any way.
I must be really lucky with batteries. We had a GMC Safari van when the kids were little, probably a '89 or '90 model, and never changed the battery. We traded the van after 6 years and >150k miles. I'm currently driving a 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel while waiting for my Yukon Denali. The Ram has the original battery and 161k miles on it.

I'll admit the climate in Middle Tennessee doesn't get as cold in the winter as some of you encounter, and the Ram spends the night in my garage, but we never had a garage with the Safari van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442