Cylinder Deactivation Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonLC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2021 Denali 6.2 4 x 4 (13,500 miles)was in the shop for 4 weeks earlier in the year waiting on a fuel pump module. Now it is the shop again for a minimum of 10 days because the cylinder deactivation systlem failed. It is getting new lifters and a head gasket which interesting enough is on back order. I am getting fed up with it. If it did not have an expensive package aboard to allow it to be towed behind my motor home I woud dump it. Has anyone else had this problem?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2021 Denali 6.2 4 x 4 (13,500 miles)was in the shop for 4 weeks earlier in the year waiting on a fuel pump module. Now it is the shop again for a minimum of 10 days because the cylinder deactivation systlem failed. It is getting new lifters and a head gasket which interesting enough is on back order. I am getting fed up with it. If it did not have an expensive package aboard to allow it to be towed behind my motor home I woud dump it. Has anyone else had this problem?
Unfortunately, there have been a number of folks on here that have had issues like you are experiencing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the lifter problem on my ‘21 Tahoe with the 5.3. Nice part is since you have under 16k miles they should replace all the lifters unlike mine where the TSB only had them do the affected bank/side of the engine.

I’ve heard of some others on here with fuel pump module issues and ECM issues. I’ve been lucky so far and haven’t had any of those problems (just the lifter failure).

If your engine was manufactured between I think Oct 2020 and March 2021, then you’re in that window of bad lifters installed in the engine. My vehicle was built in March 2021 and the engine was manufactured in Feb 2021 so I fell within that window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan