2022 Tahoe Premier – New Transmission Needed at 8100 miles (under warranty)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkincaid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First post, but I lived on these boards last year while waiting for delivery!

18 days after this incident, I just picked my Tahoe back up from the dealership with a “new” (actually just refurbished from GM) transmission installed. We were on our 3rd road trip since getting the vehicle in September 2022 – fully packed with roof-rack and loaded with 3 car seats– and the transmission gives way 2 hours in to a beach road trip, in gear on the highway. I braked just slightly due to traffic, and transmission totally blew. WTF.

On the positive side, GM dealership totally took care of me. Paid for the rental car fees I incurred, gave me a loaner once back in town, and did their best to make it all right. It could have been wayyyy worse as it only took a few hours to get it towed and then we were back on the road with the rental. Dealer said, and I think I agree, that mechanical issues just happen, and I was just one of the unlucky ones.

On the negative side, I now have a very expensive Tahoe that needed a new transmission installed 8k miles in. Who knows if there is residual damage now, but I hate that I have to even worry about it now. Dealership told me 2021+ transmissions have “been dropping like flies” for what it is worth to everyone.

Full Background:
- Feb 2022 - placed an order for 2022 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier. The order was accepted a few weeks later, and I received a VIN April 2022. As we know, there were tons of supply chain delays that year, so it sat on a hot Texas lot in Midlothian for 4-5 months waiting for final parts and chips.
- Sept 2022 – I ultimately took possession of the vehicle, but with some forced inflationary fees (non-negotiable “Interior Protection Plan”). ugh
- Dec 2022 – a few minor service trips to install missing chips and such
- April 2023 – windshield wiper stops working out of nowhere
- June 2023 – total transmission failure out of nowhere (8170 miles). Dealer told me it melted, so I needed a new one.

Needless to say, this whole experience is quite concerning. This is my first Chevrolet too. My main concern now is that this vehicle will have continued mechanical and quality issues, directly related to Chevrolet’s build-shy strategy, production delays, time spent at Midlothian lot, and other production related defects as they forced vehicles out of backlog.

But damn I love the car itself! Hope this is just an unlucky blip on the radar.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which engine do you have? Did you notice it hard shifting or any other erratic behavior before it blew? Did you happen to have the transmission temperature displayed on your digital dash? If so, what temps did you see?

Glad you got it taken care of and you had a good dealer. There haven’t been too many 10 speed failures mentioned on this forum. I think one other member had a valve body failure, but if this forum is any indication, I wouldn’t say it’s a high failure rate part of these rigs (especially compared to lifters and ‘23 gas engine injectors)

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post, but I lived on these boards last year while waiting for delivery!

18 days after this incident, I just picked my Tahoe back up from the dealership with a “new” (actually just refurbished from GM) transmission installed. We were on our 3rd road trip since getting the vehicle in September 2022 – fully packed with roof-rack and loaded with 3 car seats– and the transmission gives way 2 hours in to a beach road trip, in gear on the highway. I braked just slightly due to traffic, and transmission totally blew. WTF.

On the positive side, GM dealership totally took care of me. Paid for the rental car fees I incurred, gave me a loaner once back in town, and did their best to make it all right. It could have been wayyyy worse as it only took a few hours to get it towed and then we were back on the road with the rental. Dealer said, and I think I agree, that mechanical issues just happen, and I was just one of the unlucky ones.

On the negative side, I now have a very expensive Tahoe that needed a new transmission installed 8k miles in. Who knows if there is residual damage now, but I hate that I have to even worry about it now. Dealership told me 2021+ transmissions have “been dropping like flies” for what it is worth to everyone.

Full Background:
- Feb 2022 - placed an order for 2022 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier. The order was accepted a few weeks later, and I received a VIN April 2022. As we know, there were tons of supply chain delays that year, so it sat on a hot Texas lot in Midlothian for 4-5 months waiting for final parts and chips.
- Sept 2022 – I ultimately took possession of the vehicle, but with some forced inflationary fees (non-negotiable “Interior Protection Plan”). ugh
- Dec 2022 – a few minor service trips to install missing chips and such
- April 2023 – windshield wiper stops working out of nowhere
- June 2023 – total transmission failure out of nowhere (8170 miles). Dealer told me it melted, so I needed a new one.

Needless to say, this whole experience is quite concerning. This is my first Chevrolet too. My main concern now is that this vehicle will have continued mechanical and quality issues, directly related to Chevrolet’s build-shy strategy, production delays, time spent at Midlothian lot, and other production related defects as they forced vehicles out of backlog.

But damn I love the car itself! Hope this is just an unlucky blip on the radar.
Sounds like it went as good as it could all things considered. With that said if it runs right in the next 400 miles you should be good. I was a transmission guy for many years for GM and thru the years they all need fixing. Even the 'basic' 4 speeds then 6 speeds then the super problematic 8 speed. The 10 speed is a solid performer based on my experience so far but like you said things just happen sometimes.

It won't affect residual at all. Enjoy it!

OP
OP
J

jkincaid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which engine do you have? Did you notice it hard shifting or any other erratic behavior before it blew? Did you happen to have the transmission temperature displayed on your digital dash? If so, what temps did you see?

Glad you got it taken care of and you had a good dealer. There haven’t been too many 10 speed failures mentioned on this forum. I think one other member had a valve body failure, but if this forum is any indication, I wouldn’t say it’s a high failure rate part of these rigs (especially compared to lifters and ‘23 gas engine injectors)

5.3L. I didn’t notice anything prior to. I did not have the transmission temp displayed at the time, but never noticed anything odd before that. Around 170 most of the time.

I definitely feel lucky. Dealer was great and total downtime wasn’t as bad as it could have been. Glad to know it’s not a high failure rate. Hope I don’t get lucky with a different issue next!

OP
OP
J

jkincaid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like it went as good as it could all things considered. With that said if it runs right in the next 400 miles you should be good. I was a transmission guy for many years for GM and thru the years they all need fixing. Even the 'basic' 4 speeds then 6 speeds then the super problematic 8 speed. The 10 speed is a solid performer based on my experience so far but like you said things just happen sometimes.

It won't affect residual at all. Enjoy it!
Good to know. Was definitely worried about residual issues. Fingers crossed next few months are issue free. Would like to get over the hump.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first 10-speed outright failure I’ve seen. I’m sure they’re out there but dropping like flies seems a stretch. One guy here had a pinched cooler line from the factory that caused him some problems, so hopefully they investigated the root cause in your case a little bit to rule out anything like that.

Sorry that happened to you - on a trip, too. I would feel concerned as well. But the odds are in your favor. Chances are you won’t have any more problems.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that is a sad situation, they made it right and life goes on.
You are reading way too much into the situation. You have the same vehicle now as you had before it happened.
All it is now is a story with a decent ending. Carry on and enjoy it...

OP
OP
J

jkincaid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New transmission is in but I notice a slight wobble when driving at moderate speeds (30-60 mph). Not too intense but a little bit of shake on the steering wheel and I don’t know how to explain it, but I can feel something odd when pressing the gas pedal too. Completely goes away at low speeds.

Could this be related to a new transmission? Or the transmission fluid somehow? Am I just paranoid now?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I speculate flat spots on the tires from sitting in the heat. There was a number of these complaints about vehicles that sat in lots for a long time before delivery.

Or, maybe a weight fell off a wheel

Or, maybe there is something installed incorrectly underneath as part of the repair.

Since it's under warranty, I'd take it back in and see what they say. It's a PITA, I know, but at least it should be covered no matter what I would assume, especially if it started AFTER a repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar