CV Axle Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing some upgrades to my 03 Tahoe. 6” RC lift. I ordered new CV axles for a 2008 Tahoe based off some member recommendations. Question 1 is, do I used the CV axle spacers that came with the RC lift kit? I’ve heard some say yes and some say no.

Question 2, I’m looking for more of a squatted look. Anyone do anything different in the rear to have that style? I have 2” spacers from another kit was thinking, maybe raise the rear a little. In the end, I may just do the whole kit level, but thinking of different ideas for now.

Thanks..

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You asked for opinions, so here it goes.

Question number 1. I personally would not do any lift unless I had a purpose built off road rig. If is mainly for street, just remember that your geometry will change and some components will wear out quicker now and you will have bigger heavier tires to add to all that. It is your rig and your choice though and good luck. I got no idea about the spacers. It would help to know why some say yes and some say no. Why are they saying that?

Secondly, I say that because it seems wrong to say "number 2' with what i am about to say. "Squatted look"? I squat/sit down for a #2. I don't think I look very good doing that and I don't think the truck will either. Level is a good look.

Good luck on it all and I hope you take my comments in the jestful way they were given.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Doing some upgrades to my 03 Tahoe. 6” RC lift. I ordered new CV axles for a 2008 Tahoe based off some member recommendations. Question 1 is, do I used the CV axle spacers that came with the RC lift kit? I’ve heard some say yes and some say no.

Question 2, I’m looking for more of a squatted look. Anyone do anything different in the rear to have that style? I have 2” spacers from another kit was thinking, maybe raise the rear a little. In the end, I may just do the whole kit level, but thinking of different ideas for now.

Thanks..
It depends if the cv will allow the spacer without binding up. Aren’t the 07+ cvs 1” longer then the 99-07? Or what is the difference?
I had mine squatted until I got the rear suspension parts in the mail. It rode like shit but I was in 300,000+ mile springs that were likely sagging from the get go.
It rides and handles tremendously better after doing the rear lift and trailing arm drop brackets.
If you do want it squatted I would say get some skyjacker cr50 springs I believe is the # and throw that leveling puck under em and you should have around 6-7” up front and 4-5” in the rear

For the rear get spoon adjustable panhard bar to center the rear end and if the kit don’t come with it get the panhard and trailing arm drop brackets for the rear as well. I had to get mine separately

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't need the cv spacers with the 2008 cv axles.

For rear skyjacker c25r springs give 2.5 inch lift or skyjacker c50r give 5 inch lift
Even with the c50r you will still squat some compared to the 6 inch lift

Will need longer shocks and sway links to go with any rear lift and either a panhard drop bracket or adjustable panhard like spohn. If order anything from spohn stay far away from spohns delsphere joints they're junk.
Jeep jk sway links are same as our rears so lift sway links for them work.

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't need the cv spacers with the 2008 cv axles.

For rear skyjacker c25r springs give 2.5 inch lift or skyjacker c50r give 5 inch lift
Even with the c50r you will still squat some compared to the 6 inch lift

Will need longer shocks and sway links to go with any rear lift and either a panhard drop bracket or adjustable panhard like spohn. If order anything from spohn stay far away from spohns delsphere joints they're junk.
Jeep jk sway links are same as our rears so lift sway links for them work.
thanks for the reply. I guess the other question is, upper control arms. I bought some tubular aftermarket ones when I did the 2” leveling kit, but I think they were rated for 2”-4”. Any recommendations for UCA’s?

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I guess the other question is, upper control arms. I bought some tubular aftermarket ones when I did the 2” leveling kit, but I think they were rated for 2”-4”. Any recommendations for UCA’s?
The 6 inch lift has lift knuckles that have a reangled ball joint mount designed to work with stock uca. using lift uca with lift knuckles can put ball joint at bad angles you will need a stock height style uca

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6 inch lift has lift knuckles that have a reangled ball joint mount designed to work with stock uca. using lift uca with lift knuckles can put ball joint at bad angles you will need a stock height style uca
@SAM- I was thinking that. I have tubulars now. The angle don’t look terrible. We’ll see how it goes

Reaction score
I have a 6" RC lift also. At first I had the 2" spacers installed with my OEM CV axles but then I changed over to Extended travel CVs for a 2008. Because that axle is longer than the OEM 2004 axle I could ditch the 2" spacer and still have a little more travel to go along with my Cognito Upper control arms. Here's a video of the install:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan