Cutting rotors for new brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If they're in good shape I'd turn them for a fresh straight surface, or scuff them up a bit with emery cloth.

And @TJ Baker I had forgotten about arcing the shoes on the drum brakes. First brake job I did was on my '72 Mustang fastback, drums on 4 corners. After learning drums, disc brakes are easy peasy!

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you are from, but in Western Pennsylvania, we don't cut rotors, we throw them away! A new rotor tends to last about 2 years, then the road salt eats the rotors and once a rust ridge builds up around the outside edge - they are junk.
The reason why cutting rotors is a bad idea is because when rotors gets hot they tend to crack. You can't really see the cracks, but if you magnaflux them or penetrant die check them - they are there.
The problem is - the new rotor / new pads will last about 50,000 miles if you have a lot of highway miles it can be more or less - depending upon how much you use the brakes.
Here in the mountains, you use the brakes all the time.
Putting new pads on old rotors is bad business, because the cracks in the rotors opens up as the rotor gets hot. This acts like a small lathe and removes material each time the brakes are applied. So the original pads might get you 35,000 to 50,000 and the replacement pads might last 18,000 miles.
So you might say - oh those were just junk pads, im going to buy better pads but no rotors.
Again, you get another 18,000 miles and they are worn out.
The rotors are a throw away item, a cheap piece of insurance, that tells you - if you have an emergency - my vehicle will stop! Will yours? If the rotors rattles when you apply the brakes or the rust ridge migrates into the pad surface and only part of the pad touches the rotor then the dam thing won't stop. Its cause and effect.. maybe you Cali Boys don't have that problem, but it is a real problem here in the rust belt!

OP
OP
Illnasty

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you are from, but in Western Pennsylvania, we don't cut rotors, we throw them away! A new rotor tends to last about 2 years, then the road salt eats the rotors and once a rust ridge builds up around the outside edge - they are junk.
The reason why cutting rotors is a bad idea is because when rotors gets hot they tend to crack. You can't really see the cracks, but if you magnaflux them or penetrant die check them - they are there.
The problem is - the new rotor / new pads will last about 50,000 miles if you have a lot of highway miles it can be more or less - depending upon how much you use the brakes.
Here in the mountains, you use the brakes all the time.
Putting new pads on old rotors is bad business, because the cracks in the rotors opens up as the rotor gets hot. This acts like a small lathe and removes material each time the brakes are applied. So the original pads might get you 35,000 to 50,000 and the replacement pads might last 18,000 miles.
So you might say - oh those were just junk pads, im going to buy better pads but no rotors.
Again, you get another 18,000 miles and they are worn out.
The rotors are a throw away item, a cheap piece of insurance, that tells you - if you have an emergency - my vehicle will stop! Will yours? If the rotors rattles when you apply the brakes or the rust ridge migrates into the pad surface and only part of the pad touches the rotor then the dam thing won't stop. Its cause and effect.. maybe you Cali Boys don't have that problem, but it is a real problem here in the rust belt!
Solid reply. Thanks dude. I’m in NJ and 80% of my driving is on cruise control and I’m at 50k on the original rotors and brakes, spot on there. I’m going to replace the rotors and brakes and be done with it but I’m thinking about going to the Power Stops and ceramic pads.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can get ceramic pads that are GM. If you like how long your brakes have lasted and had no problems, why switch unless you just want to?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this was weird. I brought my truck into the dealership (yea I know, I just moved and don’t know a good mechanic here yet) for an oil change and brakes. The service agent told me that for new brakes they need to cut the rotors. I have never ever heard that before! I get it if there’s grinding or the current pads are completely worn you need to cut the rotors or get new ones but cut them just because you are getting new pads. Is that a thing? I haven’t looked at myself in the mirror today but stupid might be written on my forehead. WTH!
It's SOP for professionals. They first check them to make sure they are within spec to cut. Sometimes broke, we did pad slaps in the driveway and got away with it because the rotors were not warped but a good shop is not going to do that.

In the heavy equipment shop I worked at, we even cut brand new rotors or put a cross patch on them to assist with bite, if memory serves.

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solid reply. Thanks dude. I’m in NJ and 80% of my driving is on cruise control and I’m at 50k on the original rotors and brakes, spot on there. I’m going to replace the rotors and brakes and be done with it but I’m thinking about going to the Power Stops and ceramic pads.
I once bought Performance Friction Carbon Metallic for a 2009 Avalanche and believe it or not the GM pads lasted longer..
I bought a set of rotors off the internet - came with matching pads - and those $15 generic pads out stopped and outlasted any GM pad I ever owned.
One set I bought for my 06 Avalanche, wasn't machined right, and they sent me a replacement set, and they are still in the package out in the garage and I no longer own the vehicle.
Every person that drove the 06 asked where I got the brake pads from because it stopped so good..

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best rotors I ever bought were the ones sold on EBAY - they come in a GREEN BOX and were anodized - except that they did not coat them between the fins. Slotted and Cross Drilled and I don't think they were more then $150 for the pair. the Hart rotors looks nice, but are a little too pricy for me..

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bell45