Custom Tune Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thats how I was taught many years ago....starting with the BW T-5 manual tranny. Lay everything out in order that you were taught and reverse once its time for reassembly.
That's the work smart part. I completely agree. I have seen a couple of you tube videos where the guy tearing down the transmission would be helter skelter and funny thing, I never saw where they were putting it back together. When I recommend any one to watch you tube videos, I always recommend watching at least 3-4 videos for the same work because typically, at least one will just be bull and very unorganized.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
O
Yeah, I would look it over with a Tech-2 and probably replace the solenoids in the TECHM at minimum. @skpyle
What all can the Tech2 tell me about the trans that the HPTuners didn't show?

The Tech2 can do the trans adapt if I change the valvebody correct?

I called two other local transmission places and they do not rebuild the 6l80s either. That is now 4 places I have called and they all only do remanufactured units. The only guy I found so far that would take a look is a local AAMCO that for some reason makes me nervous. I'm just debating about trying the reman sonnax valvebody from Rockauto in the spring and for $200 and half a day see if it fixes things along with the pressure switches you guys mentioned.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O

I called two other local transmission places and they do not rebuild the 6l80s either. That is now 4 places I have called and they all only do remanufactured units. The only guy I found so far that would take a look is a local AAMCO that for some reason makes me nervous. I'm just debating about trying the reman sonnax valvebody from Rockauto in the spring and for $200 and half a day see if it fixes things along with the pressure switches you guys mentioned.
My local shop stopped rebuilding the 6L80 also, opting for remans instead. He said the reason was that he kept getting faulty valve bodies from his suppliers, and got sick of eating the R&R labor every time. When he installs a reman, if it fails within the warranty, the remanufacturer pays him for the R&R labor.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would look it over with a Tech-2 and probably replace the solenoids in the TECHM at minimum. @skpyle

I am a little confused at the mention of the 2-4 servo and burning bands. A 2011 should have the 6L80E. No servos or bands.
Regardless, best I can suggest is review my thread on going through the valve body on my 2013 Escalade 6L80:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...-flush-in-2013-escalade-esv-pic-heavy.130110/

Tech2 can give you status of the shift solenoids, pressures, and let you perform the Relearn Adapts procedure.
Very much worth it.

Good Luck!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local shop stopped rebuilding the 6L80 also, opting for remans instead. He said the reason was that he kept getting faulty valve bodies from his suppliers, and got sick of eating the R&R labor every time. When he installs a reman, if it fails within the warranty, the remanufacturer pays him for the R&R labor.
Dorman! A few years back at least, most of them didn't work out of the box.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdriver what all would the tech2 tell me that the tuner would not have been able to observe during the road test?

Can't say for sure as I have no experience with HPTuners.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
I am a little confused at the mention of the 2-4 servo and burning bands. A 2011 should have the 6L80E. No servos or bands.
Regardless, best I can suggest is review my thread on going through the valve body on my 2013 Escalade 6L80:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...-flush-in-2013-escalade-esv-pic-heavy.130110/

Tech2 can give you status of the shift solenoids, pressures, and let you perform the Relearn Adapts procedure.
Very much worth it.

Good Luck!
Funny timing as I just re-read through your journey the night before last! That is part of why I thought about doing the already rebuilt valve body and then just doing the TECHM re-build. I will definitely reach out to you for additional questions as I am still assembling what I think I would need to try it. So far I am thinking:

-Sonnax Valve Body from Rock Auto ($140 after core)
-tracking down the TECHM pressure switch rebuild kit ($100 +/-)
-install tool?
-6 ts of dexron IV synthetic (just had it serviced)
-Maybe a Tech2 so I do not have to drive it to the tuner (30 min drive)

My wife and I have our 5th baby due in about 3-4 weeks so that will dictate what and when I can do it!

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny timing as I just re-read through your journey the night before last! That is part of why I thought about doing the already rebuilt valve body and then just doing the TECHM re-build. I will definitely reach out to you for additional questions as I am still assembling what I think I would need to try it. So far I am thinking:

-Sonnax Valve Body from Rock Auto ($140 after core)
-tracking down the TECHM pressure switch rebuild kit ($100 +/-)
-install tool?
-6 ts of dexron IV synthetic (just had it serviced)
-Maybe a Tech2 so I do not have to drive it to the tuner (30 min drive)

My wife and I have our 5th baby due in about 3-4 weeks so that will dictate what and when I can do it!
Wow! Congratulations, on #5! You’re a busy guy! :naughty:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts