Creaking rear brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Tahoe 2wd with about 150K on the clock. recently the rear brakes started creaking when pressing the brake pedal. If I am stopped and push on the brake pedal you can hear a hollow creaking noise out back. if you lightly push the pedal its quiet, but as soon as you press hard, as in pulling into a parking spot or at the drive-thru window you can hear it. creaks as you apply and release the pedal.

Already pulled the pads off, cleaned them and re-greased the pins. It is hard to pinpoint the exact location where it is coming from while laying underneath.

Anyone else had this happen? only thing I can think of is that it is some bracket on the rear axle or possibly one or both rear calipers needing to be completely replaced.

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing on my escalade. Sounds awful. Tried cleaning everything and lubricating the slides etc but nothing worked. I came across a service bulletin about it (sorry don't have it) and it pointed to the calliper pistons as the culprit. You don't need to replace them though. Take the calliper off and peel back the dust boot a bit and get some assembly lube (I shot some WD-40 in there). Anyways, it did the trick for me. It was worse on the driver's side but I could hear on both sides. I 'greased' up both sides and no more noise. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
A

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, in the few weeks since i posted it, i searched more generically on google. seems that the piston is the culprit on a few different cars. have not fixed it yet, but will update when i do

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I have had the same noise coming from mine for a while now and just assumed it was normal. I'm due for brakes before too long, so I'll be greasing the pistons when I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz