Creaking /Popping Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocketman23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a problem that is literally driving me insane!

2004 Yukon SLT
204,000 miles

A couple months ago I started having a clunking/banging sound coming from under the driver’s side dash (steering column area). So, did the research and found the intermediate steering shaft was the culprit. I changed the intermediate steering shaft with the improved Dorman one and changed out the plastic steering shaft bearing. Now, that is all great and it fixed the clunking/banging problem.

So, when I come to complete stop, let off the brake, hit the accelerator and as the weight of the truck transfers towards the rear, I am hearing a creaking, groaning, slight popping sound coming from under the driver’s side dash area. Typically, When I leave in the mornings, the first couple stops, it is not too bad but after a couple red lights, it is creaking and popping full strength. I have looked under the dash and found nothing out of place or loose. I am sure this was happening all along but due to how loud the intermediate steering shaft problem was, this new (to me) noise was drowned out.

Am I chasing another actual steering column related issue OR am I chasing a drivers side upper/lower control arm bushing issue or related?

Has anyone had any experience with this before?

Thanks

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Do you hear this when going over bumps or potholes? Go ahead and Jack up that side and wiggle left right and up down on the tires and have a look underneath. Try a pry bar to move the steering and suspension parts around. Hopefully it shows itself easily.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you sure the noise is inside, under the dash, or is it outside under the front driver or under the driver? Possible anything in the steering and suspension can do this. Did you have the steering gear loose for the shaft?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Especially if in a salt roads state. That pop from those arms/bushings can sound like it is right under the dash.
Exactly. That's why I suggested it. The sounds from clunking front suspension components will resonate through the floor board area and it almost seems like it's coming from the firewall area or under dash area.
Definitely put that truck on a lift or jackstands and inspect all the front suspension bushings, ball joints, tie rods, etc. Shake the wheel and tire really hard side to side and up and down. Grab the tire at 3 o' clock and 9 o' clock positions, and wiggle it side to side really good then do the same up and down grabbing the tire at 12 and 6. If you have a helper, that's even better. Have a helper shake while you closely inspect all the bushings and ball joints for slack/movement.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Best to shake and pry everything with the suspension loaded. Lift next to the lower ball joint until the tire is off the ground 1-2 inches. Then you can pry with a bar under the tire and do all the shakes you want. Also, have it on the ground and have a helper, with engine running, move steering wheel from 9 to 3 and watch for in and out play at the ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm and slop/play at the control arm bushings and sway bar and check to make sure the steering gear is tight to frame and no frame cracks. Recheck that steering shaft too. Not a fan of Dorman products.

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar noise for the past several months When hard braking and letting off the brake. Lower ball joint replaced and also the cv axle boot had a rip so replaced cv axle. Noise gone!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best to shake and pry everything with the suspension loaded. Lift next to the lower ball joint until the tire is off the ground 1-2 inches. Then you can pry with a bar under the tire and do all the shakes you want. Also, have it on the ground and have a helper, with engine running, move steering wheel from 9 to 3 and watch for in and out play at the ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm and slop/play at the control arm bushings and sway bar and check to make sure the steering gear is tight to frame and no frame cracks. Recheck that steering shaft too. Not a fan of Dorman products.

Good call on the steering shaft too. I had the same issue with repeated failures. Back when I first got my truck I had the steering shaft "re-greased", as back then (in 2006) that was the GM protocol for getting rid of the steering shaft clunk. The clunk returned in less than a year. I had the grease re-packed again and the clunk returned in barely 6 months. Around this time, GM released the new "updated" steering shaft that was serviceable. The updated protocol was now to replace the steering shaft with the new updated part. My truck was still under warranty at this time so the dealer replaced it. A little over a year after that, the "new" shaft started clunking. By this time my truck was out of warranty, so I was on the hook for this repair. I ended up buying a new AC Delco steering shaft from the dealership and installed it myself. This was back in around 2008 or so, and the steering shaft clunk has NEVER returned, even after 14-15 years and over 100k miles later. Let's see Dorman parts hold up like that!