Cracked Oil Pan - What are the implications?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I don't mind paying the money to repair/replace it. And I'm all about doing necessary repairs ASAP. On the other hand, the stubborn skeptic in me is weighing the options, given all the circumstances.
Crawl under and get looking.

To be direct: There's really nothing more to discuss with this until you/we have eyes on it.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crawl under and get looking.

To be direct: There's really nothing more to discuss with this until you/we have eyes on it.

Always good to put eyes on things.

In any event, feel free to ignore this thread anytime.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer first claimed the pan was cracked ...and I've never had any noticeable oil loss or oil pressure variance.

...what would you do?

A cracked oil pan will not affect oil pressure until the oil leaks out to below the pickup tube. Unless of course the crack is one of those three cavities that get pressure around the oil filter.

If yours were mine, I'd crawl under there with a can of brake cleaner and spray the area clean, then start the engine and let it warm up while looking for a leak.

If a crack was found and I was a young man, I'd pull the pan, have the crack welded up and put it back together. Now, I'd have to pay someone to do the work and might just buy a new pan as well to save time and money, depends.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I had an oil change done at the shop and mechanic showed me how oil is seeping out and around due to a cracked oil pan. I'm seeing no drips/drops on my garage floor, and seeing no noticeable drop in oil pressure.

What are the implications of doing nothing?

My opinion is to continue monitoring the seep/leak. It's an engine filled with oil
I've been scratching my head about this, and here's why:

Dealer first claimed the pan was cracked about a year ago. I didn't really buy it because I'd never seen a single drop of oil on my garage floor, where I park every single night, and I've never had any noticeable oil loss or oil pressure variance.

There's been no symptoms at all other than a thin film of oil that sometimes appears on the back side of the pan.

For the sake of argument, let's say it's definitely cracked. If nothing has worsened in at least a year, and there are no dire symptoms, what would you do?

Ill "mediate" the sake of arguing and say that you are seeking educated mechanical opinions/responses on hypothetical scenarios on a "potential" oil leak that you have not even considered to put forth the effort to grab a flashlight and see if it even exists! LOL, i think based upon the info given id advise "forget about it" I swear no disrespect intended, this is kinda comical?

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright. I'll take the ribbing. I'm a head case sometimes. What of it? lol

I got under there last night. Film of oil that was present 2 days ago was cleaned off while at the shop. Now I see not a drop, drip, smear or anything. I don't see any cracks or fissures. But the film was there before, so oil is seeping somehow. Just seeping. Either the crack is small enough to be invisible or it is non-existent and it's the gasket. Who knows.

I'll keep an eye on my garage floor for drips, and I'll crawl under the vehicle once a week for a month.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you recall where the "crack" was that the tech showed you when it was on the lift? I'm curious if it's actually casting flash.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a crack in the pan or a crack in the gasket what does it matter if it is not leaking enough to leave any trace on the ground? If it is a cracked pan replace it when it gets to the point where the leak bothers you.
Look at the bright side, wherever the oil is on the undercarriage it is acting as a rust preventative.
In the Air Force the aircraft ground equipment was allowed x numbers of drops per minute and it was deemed just fine, if that helps any.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a crack in the pan or a crack in the gasket what does it matter if it is not leaking enough to leave any trace on the ground? If it is a cracked pan replace it when it gets to the point where the leak bothers you.
Look at the bright side, wherever the oil is on the undercarriage it is acting as a rust preventative.
In the Air Force the aircraft ground equipment was allowed x numbers of drops per minute and it was deemed just fine, if that helps any.

This was exactly my thinking.
And/or I was overthinking it because I'm occasionally a head case. :confused:
LOL

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photos are definitely helpful for the people on this forum. Next time under the truck, just take a work light and your phone for pictures. Get up close and from different angles. I'm like you, I tend to overthink whatever is pointed out to me by my local shop. That said, it's their business to inform customers of anything noticed -- urgent or not. My advice from one head case to another is to not unnecessarily make it an urgent matter. I would think there would be more obvious signs if it was urgent. My favorite post on this thread is #27 from latvius. I have a very minor axle seal leak, and I'm applying similar advice. The differential remains full, I monitor it and if/when it gets worse, I'll take care of it.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean it off thoroughly, then do a dye penetrant test on it. That's really the only way to know if there is a crack without pulling it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa1971