Cracked grille support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my grille is showing some serious signs of wear. I've lost a couple of screws and one of the top middle screw holes had broken anyway. But the left support is hanging on by a thread.
cracked_grill.jpg

Any suggestions besides finding a new grille?cracked_grill.jpg

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I should have said that better...any suggestion besides replacing the grille.

However, to that end - can someone tell me the difference in GM1200238 and GM1200463 and how I would know which one I need for my '97 Tahoe (with composite lamps)? They are both chrome (which is what I want), but can't tell what is different. The 238 number lists an OEM number (15981106) at Rockauto but the 463 number doesn't. The pictures I can find of that OEM number look identical from what I can tell, but who knows what I'm missing...

The only other thing I notice is that 238 says it is "chrome/silver", but 463 is just listed as chrome. Does that make sense to anyone?

Last edited:

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try attaching back together using Q-Bond

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I should have said that better...any suggestion besides replacing the grille.

However, to that end - can someone tell me the difference in GM1200238 and GM1200463 and how I would know which one I need for my '97 Tahoe (with composite lamps)? They are both chrome (which is what I want), but can't tell what is different. The 238 number lists an OEM number (15981106) at Rockauto but the 463 number doesn't. The pictures I can find of that OEM number look identical from what I can tell, but who knows what I'm missing...

The only other thing I notice is that 238 says it is "chrome/silver", but 463 is just listed as chrome. Does that make sense to anyone?
Total shot in the dark with the two different part # but maybe one for denali?

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I figured out the difference...on GM1200238 it looks like in the pictures I can find that this one is the grate in front of the radiator is mostly black (like mine, factory), whereas on GM1200463, that grid is shiny. This is, of course, counter to what you'd expect based on the descriptions. Not sure either makes a difference to me at this point. Not sure where I can find the two missing screws I have either.

Also had a suggestion to use a fiberglass repair kit on this thing. Not sure if that would be a better or worse idea than qbond/jbweld. Any thoughts from anyone?

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used gorilla epoxy in the past with good results.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, GM shows two part numbers: 15981092 for regular chrome version and 15981106 for the Sport package (RPO code BYP).

I’d bet that most of these crack when people climb on top to work on something. Mine are like that as well.

The bolt size is described below, it looks like you’d need #5 and that it’s mislabeled in the diagram. A parts or hardware store should have one:

89eabee3af3f2622123992464e250d93.jpg

2eeeddfc8b50405014fa75bcf14a75c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, GM shows two part numbers: 15981092 for regular chrome version and 15981106 for the Sport package (RPO code BYP).

I’d bet that most of these crack when people climb on top to work on something. Mine are like that as well.

The bolt size is described below, it looks like you’d need #5 and that it’s mislabeled in the diagram. A parts or hardware store should have one:

Thanks for that info! First, interestingly enough, my grille is mounted with phillips screw/bolts, not hex bolts like above. In the past, I've not found good luck finding auto replacements in a hardware store, but I can give it a shot.

The top grille in the pic is different than the bottom one - the top one is for composite headlamps (which I have) and the bottom is for single sealed beams.

Interestingly enough, your post made me look back and my original RPO was V22 (GRILLE,RADIATOR(CHROME) CHROME GRL(V22)), which I've also seen shown as "Bright Chrome". I hit a deer when the truck was about 5 or 6 years old and it's possible that the shop got a different grille than it came with (black fins instead of all chrome) and I didn't notice. Either way, it seems both the parts I started with will work - just a matter of my preference now. And, speaking of which - has anyone ever bought one of these replacement grilles from Autozone (Keystone)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne