Count me among the "failed lifter" group...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trahan20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2022 Yukon SLT 5.3—just passed 9,000 miles. Vehicle started sputtering a bit while driving, then at the next light started shaking pretty violently at idle. Service Traction Control and Service ESC notifications displayed. Thankfully I was able to make it home (5 minutes away) and take it to the dealer the next morning (5 more minutes). Just heard from the dealer via text that it's the lifters and the job should be completed within a few days, but they did not inform me as to whether they are replacing both banks. I knew about this issue prior to ordering and taking delivery in December 2021. I've thought about it EVERY TIME I started the vehicle. LOL...at least I was mentally prepared. ;) Not happy, of course. Not sure what to do from here. I want to have confidence in my vehicle, but I need the size the Yukon offers, and I love the redesign of the 2022. To those who have experienced this problem, are you just riding it out and waiting for GM to issue some sort of recall/fix? Thanks for any recommendations!

-TT

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
2022 Yukon SLT 5.3—just passed 9,000 miles. Vehicle started sputtering a bit while driving, then at the next light started shaking pretty violently at idle. Service Traction Control and Service ESC notifications displayed. Thankfully I was able to make it home (5 minutes away) and take it to the dealer the next morning (5 more minutes). Just heard from the dealer via text that it's the lifters and the job should be completed within a few days, but they did not inform me as to whether they are replacing both banks. I knew about this issue prior to ordering and taking delivery in December 2021. I've thought about it EVERY TIME I started the vehicle. LOL...at least I was mentally prepared. ;) Not happy, of course. Not sure what to do from here. I want to have confidence in my vehicle, but I need the size the Yukon offers, and I love the redesign of the 2022. To those who have experienced this problem, are you just riding it out and waiting for GM to issue some sort of recall/fix? Thanks for any recommendations!

-TT
Mines got 312,000 miles with the original lifters it’s a 07 when I got it at 240,000 it would sound horrid whenever it would drop to 4cyl mode so I tuned it within the first month to disable it as a temp fix at 300,000 I had a stuck lifter that wouldn’t go away I ran it like I stole it changed the oil to Mobil 1 10w30 and added a quart of marvel mystery oil for the 6th quart and so far so good it’s seemed to solve my issue for the time being but who knows how long it’ll actually last before it finally gives out

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and sorry one of your first posts is about something like this. Every time I read one of these failed lifter problem threads, it makes me very glad I own my rig. Good luck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure the people that had the oil consumption for the 5.3L for the first 3 years had the same hopes and dreams.......

I hope for you they figured out a solution sooner than later

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but... if there was a tune out for 21+ and your lifters went bad... I'd be thinking swap all the lifters out for a performance brand, long tubes and a cam while ya got everything tore apart...

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but... if there was a tune out for 21+ and your lifters went bad... I'd be thinking swap all the lifters out for a performance brand, long tubes and a cam while ya got everything tore apart...
There's no tune unless you buy an unlocked ECU from HP tuners or Whipple. Its a $700 purchase in addition to the DOD/AFM cam and lifters kit. But yeah I would go this route.

I've got a '17 coming up on 90k and still waiting for that collapsed lifter to hit. Had the tune disable DOD/AFM and been doing oil changes every 3k since I bought it. I'm sorta surprised the Whipple, and other performance mods haven't killed my valvetrain yet but I have my eye on a heads and cam package when it does.

OP
OP
T

Trahan20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Received the vehicle back today. Both banks were replaced. Hoping it lasts, as I love this vehicle otherwise!

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And there's goes your warranty.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo