Dealer overfilled Trans Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davisr32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 2013 LTZ with Max Trailering.

Just had the trans flushed at 60k and the dealer charged me for 16 quarts which seemed like too much. They claimed that’s what it takes on the 6l80 but everything I can see is 10 for flush, 12.4 capacity but I did see one guy on a forum saying it’s 16. So I am not sure.

My trans usually is only running 140-160 degrees once warmed up. Checked the fluid at 160 today on an 80 degree day and it seems high on the dipstick for the hot temp section.

Is this too high? Should I drain a bit from the cooler lines or just leave it?

IMG_2618.jpeg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are truly flushing the system, it may be 16 qts that they run through the total to make sure it’s flushed. It may take 12.4 qts to fill the system from empty, but they probably run an extra 4 qts through the system when the flush it and they will charge you for all the fluid they use, not just what they send home with you.

Might check the level when the transmission is cold and see where it lands on your dipstick before you drain any out.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Don’t touchy the truck to fix what they may have failed on or the fault shifts to you. You would of seen fluid on the drive when parked it they actually overfilled it that much. The extra fluid you paid for was likely used to push out as much old fluid as possible.

OP
OP
D

Davisr32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks ok to me. About 1/4" above, right?
If they are truly flushing the system, it may be 16 qts that they run through the total to make sure it’s flushed. It may take 12.4 qts to fill the system from empty, but they probably run an extra 4 qts through the system when the flush it and they will charge you for all the fluid they use, not just what they send home with you.

Might check the level when the transmission is cold and see where it lands on your dipstick before you drain any out.
Thanks, yeah I figured they ran some extra through. Will check it cold tomorrow.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 2013 LTZ with Max Trailering.

Just had the trans flushed at 60k and the dealer charged me for 16 quarts which seemed like too much. They claimed that’s what it takes on the 6l80 but everything I can see is 10 for flush, 12.4 capacity but I did see one guy on a forum saying it’s 16. So I am not sure.

My trans usually is only running 140-160 degrees once warmed up. Checked the fluid at 160 today on an 80 degree day and it seems high on the dipstick for the hot temp section.

Is this too high? Should I drain a bit from the cooler lines or just leave it?

View attachment 404418
Just leave it. You'll be fine. Done that for years on multiple GM vehicles when they are hot and not one crapped it's pants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19