Coolant leak help. Common external points of failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 5.3 stock engine with Blackbear tune.

Not sure how long it's been losing coolant, as I work from home and don't drive much. This past weekend I noticed hotter than normal temps, and no heat in Park (vehicle stopped). I checked the coolant level and it was low - reservoir was almost empty. (f$ck).

Added coolant when engine was cold up to the fill line (sat overnight on level ground), and went for a drive to get up to temp & run some errands. Checked next day and reservoir was down 1/2"-3/4".

I can't see anything dripping when the car is parked w/engine ON or OFF.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCRATCH THAT.... I just went out to check in the daylight, and DO see coolant leaking out from under the reservoir/expansion tank. And the level looked lower than it did the last time I checked (engine was cold and had not run in between checking).

Checking prices/availability for local pickup of new overflow tank. wish me luck, gents.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2c: Check your coolant tees by the firewall. And check around the radiator thoroughly, as well as the water pump shaft. Check also to see that there are no hoses with worm drive clamps, or if there are, give them each a tightening turn or two. Those seem to be the most common leak points on these, in my experience.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2c: Check your coolant tees by the firewall. And check around the radiator thoroughly, as well as the water pump shaft. Check also to see that there are no hoses with worm drive clamps, or if there are, give them each a tightening turn or two. Those seem to be the most common leak points on these, in my experience.
This too! ^^^^^

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished replacing the expansion tank. The old one was leaking from the seam along the bottom.

I let it run for a while, and didn't see any leaking, so it'll have to sit overnight and I'll check tomorrow.

I used this video as a guide, and it was stupid-simple.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished replacing the expansion tank. The old one was leaking from the seam along the bottom.

I let it run for a while, and didn't see any leaking, so it'll have to sit overnight and I'll check tomorrow.

I used this video as a guide, and it was stupid-simple.

Awesome trick there with the washer fluid bottle!!!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just pricing them out. Fun.

New OEMs are fine (NO Dorman!). I have no reason to believe mine weren't original (IIRC, I found a date code on them) and they were still holding up at 200K miles.

If you want aluminum, Gruven sells a kit with small hose splices and clamps: https://www.gruvenparts.com/billet-gm-heater-core-coolant-tees/

JTR/Stealth sells just the Ts: https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/best-sellers/products/traditional-hose-tee

I went with the ones from Stealth and bought 12" each of 3/4" and 1/2" of bulk heater hose from O'Reilly.

I also replaced the factory plastic Y connector with the aluminum Dorman 626-553. I cut off the included 5/8" hose and replaced it with Gates.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya set of oem T's and hoses will run about $200 or close to it, when I bought mine last time Amazon had the best price
I have had the t break off before luckily I was in town and not stuck on the side of the highway in no-where-ville

I have less than $90 invested in both Ts, hoses and clamps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore

Latest posts