Common Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a few recalls regarding 4WD and brake booster? Previous gen had common issue with motor mounts and AFM. What are common issues I need to look for if i wanted to jump into a newer Tahoe/Yukon?

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 to that. Couldn’t pay me to swap my 16 for my old 10.
But back in their day, the 07-14 gen Suburbans were the truck to have. The 15-20 gen is a vast improvement in quality, safety, features and bang for the buck.

I drove our 08 from VA to Houston and back every year and it was a comfortable drive and plenty of room for 3 kids and their stuff.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 issue is that you'll wish you had your old one back.

I love my 2011 besides the dash and age. The new ones look better especially on the inside but Chevy/GMC family looks better than the Fords and other competition. Was tempted to look at the Expeditions but those Ecoboosts scare me especially since whatever I get next will be out of warranty :(

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can say on the new ones... The shoulder room is decreased, if you have a build like a refrigerator you will have your shoulder hitting the b pillar if you don't move the seat forward by a decent amount.

Issues I have heard but cannot confirm... AC controls give up the ghost... If looking at a 6.2 do not buy an 8 speed wait for a 10.... There is the buffering and booming reports... 22" wheels ride like crap is another..

Can confirm.....Esky only HVAC and radio chrome knobs things loose sensitivity and don't work after a while, they go bad very quickly.

BUT I will say this, dash isn't prone to cracking... leather wrapped stuff is alot nicer also.. Dash controls are nice update... Interior fit and finish is nice also...increased output on the 5.3 is nice... I will be interested to see how the direct injection holds up though when some folks get mid to high 100k range...

Justification though for 30k + pricetag for used is just hard to swallow... Reason I didn't swap yet... I have driven a 19 esky, 17 yukon denalli, few 15s and 16s also, best bet is with yukon... Mag ride control after being flashed for the latest software can make a bumpy 15,16 ride much better. All models have their issues, go over whatever you are getting with a fine tooth comb... Don't take anything for granted, dealers will put it in dry with no lube...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
#1 issue is that you'll wish you had your old one back.

I was recently looking for a newer Tahoe than my 2002 NBS. I kept running in to problems and one of them was lack of shoulder room. I was looking at the 2007-2014 NNBS. I then decided one day to keep my 2002 and a few members here said that they here this phrase a lot. "I wish I had my NBS ** back".

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know people that wish they kept their NBS when upgrading to NNBS but many are giving that feedback when going to the 2015+ from an NNBS. About to do more research on the reliability of the Expedition ecoboost lol.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know people that wish they kept their NBS when upgrading to NNBS but many are giving that feedback when going to the 2015+ from an NNBS. About to do more research on the reliability of the Expedition ecoboost lol.

The early Ecoboosts had some issues with turbo failures. I think they got a lot of that figured out in 2013/2014 years. I have a 2016 F-150 SCREW with the 3.5 Twin Turbo Ecoboost and have been very impressed with it.

That being said, I also like my 2013 Yukon XL Denali.