Common Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early Ecoboosts had some issues with turbo failures. I think they got a lot of that figured out in 2013/2014 years. I have a 2016 F-150 SCREW with the 3.5 Twin Turbo Ecoboost and have been very impressed with it.

That being said, I also like my 2013 Yukon XL Denali.

Yea I was looking at 2016 expedition eco boost but it would be high mileage. I bought my 2011 Tahoe with 119k miles and though it had some issues, it made me happy. I'm scared to take that chance with Ford but I hear they have gotten better and glad to hear the recent years are making great progress in reliability. I was always a turbo fan and I would be the one to put a BOV on mine lol. More power than the Tahoe with better gas mileage and takes regular gas. Love the Tahoe interior better but 2016 Expedition is the end of that era where 2015/16 Tahoe is the beginning and you know what they say about the early years of an era....

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to cross the dreaded 36k/end of bumper to bumper on my 17 Burb and there is no booming. I have to assume they fixed the roof issue with the '17s. I LOVED my 08 Avalanche. Still the best car I have ever owned but as others have said the fit and finish, not to mention the looks of the next gens is much better.

Get a '17 or higher.
If going for 6.2 get 10 speed trans
I can't speak to harsh rides on the 22's cause I am on 24's with a drop and stiffer suspension so the "harshness" is something I expected when trying to build a 6000lbs corner carver.

A friend of mine has a 19 Lincoln Navigator, top of the line everything. Its even got some "boat package" thing where the stitching on the seats looks like ropes. Its absolutely gorgeous and level of luxury in the truck kills his old Caddy. However, the TwinTurbo 3.5 is a dog compared to my 5.3, let alone the 6.2 that was in his 15 Esky.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to cross the dreaded 36k/end of bumper to bumper on my 17 Burb and there is no booming. I have to assume they fixed the roof issue with the '17s. I LOVED my 08 Avalanche. Still the best car I have ever owned but as others have said the fit and finish, not to mention the looks of the next gens is much better.

Get a '17 or higher.
I can't speak to harsh rides on the 22's cause I am on 24's with a drop and stiffer suspension so the "harshness" is something I expected when trying to build a 6000lbs corner carver.

A friend of mine has a 19 Lincoln Navigator, top of the line everything. Its even got some "boat package" thing where the stitching on the seats looks like ropes. Its absolutely gorgeous and level of luxury in the truck kills his old Caddy. However, the TwinTurbo 3.5 is a dog compared to my 5.3, let alone the 6.2 that was in his 15 Esky.

The Navigator is super heavy, maybe thats why?

2017 is first year with the 10 speed? Scared of that too unless its on other trucks already?

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a lot of my issues are due to 2015 being the new model year/ changes. I’ve had a lot of issues that should not come with a $70k price tag:

HVAC condensor
Fuel pump
Failed #5 lifter
Failed fuel injector
New transmission
New radiator
New struts (3 of 4 frozen)
New collision sensors
New exhaust system
New GPS antenna
New serpentine tensioner
New seat warmer element
Replaced water filled headlight and tail light

Prob more, but that’s what I recal top of my head.

Most of these were before 60k miles. Trans was at 14k...

Thank goodness for extended warranty. This will be my last GM vehicle.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Maybe a lot of my issues are due to 2015 being the new model year/ changes. I’ve had a lot of issues that should not come with a $70k price tag:

HVAC condensor
Fuel pump
Failed #5 lifter
Failed fuel injector
New transmission
New radiator
New struts (3 of 4 frozen)
New collision sensors
New exhaust system
New GPS antenna
New serpentine tensioner
New seat warmer element
Replaced water filled headlight and tail light

Prob more, but that’s what I recal top of my head.

Most of these were before 60k miles. Trans was at 14k...

Thank goodness for extended warranty. This will be my last GM vehicle.

I like to shoot guns at my favorite outdoor "Second Amendment Theme Park" and I own nothing but Ruger firearms. I have come across a problem or two over the years but the Ruger customer service has always been top notch and very fast. I would not look elsewhere for a firearm because of a problem with a Ruger gun. If the CS was crap though I might. Was the Chevy warranty/customer service bad? Have you had trouble with other GM vehicles?

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a really bad comparison. Daily transportation and recreational firearms are apples and oranges.

• Have you spent over $70k on Ruger guns?
  • Did you purchase 1 gun for over $70k?
  • Did the failures interrupt your daily ability to commute to work and appointments?
The service has been fine, but the product should have had much more extensive QA/ testing before release. For the cost of the truck a customer should not have to bring it in for service almost monthly. I’m sorry, I don’t understand your analogy.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am only comparing a product and not how they are used. In your analogy you mentioned one vehicle. Did you own other GM vehicles with problems that stack up like this one? That was one of my previous questions and was not answered. IMO, you have only told about and focused on one vehicle. Was it new or a used vehicle? Did you get previous records for repairs and maintenance? Was it a rental vehicle? I am not trying to talk you out of your desire to never buy another GM vehicle, I am just trying to get as much info as I can. Your reaction is an emotional one because of price, daily driver and the list of problems. By the way, I have 2 Unicorn Ruger guns that are worth $5k each. That is just 2 out of 13 firearms. I use them for fun at the range and self protection. I would assume you used your rig for fun as well. Just questions is all I was asking.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 1997 Saturn, 1999 Grand Prix and my wife’s 2011 SRX. They did not experience the numerous issues as the Yukon, but had some issues.

My cars are always purchased new and maintained with the severe service schedule. I use only fully synthetic fluids in all cars, these Yukon issues are not due to lack of maintenance. Also, I don’t tow, so those stresses on the drivetrain are not present (for example the tranny failure at 14k miles).

The above GM cars were on proven platforms. For example, the Grand Prix 3800 series motor had been in production for many years and was proven. The SRX was on the Theta platform for several years.

My point is GM should have not released their flagship truck platform with so many recurring issues. My dealer is great, but I shouldn’t have to go visit them every couple months with major component failures.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok. All good. I was recently looking for a "newer" Tahoe. Ran in to run around by sales people and not as much comfort room compared to my NBS 2002. I did not know that you bought all vehicles new. When extended warranty is mentioned I assume used in some cases. I am one of those people that never ever buy an extended warranty. Some people love them and they come in handy at times with a major repair.

I prefer to keep a maintenance/repair fund stocked up with money for times I need it and I feel the odds are always in my favor.

Last edited:

Tonka44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Get a '17 or higher.

There is something seriously wrong with that Navigator if you think it is a dog compared to your 5.3. Those Navigators are at like 450 horsepower and are torque monsters down low, those 3.5's move. Did you drive it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14