Clutch Fan Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed a new clutch fan on my 03 Tahoe. Will eventually do electric conversion but for now I went with a new clutch from Autozone. Duralast I think. Gosh dang thing howls like crazy. So loud it drowns out the exhaust. I know it’s doing what it’s supposed to do but sheesh. Any suggestions?

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont really have any suggestions, just a bit of experience. I replaced the one on my old ford and have the same issue. I think there were so many failures the other way (not engaging enough) in the past. So they tightened up the coupling as to avoid not cooling enough.
I dont know if yours has the bimetal spring on the front of it, but i was able to work it loose with a pair of needle nose pliers and loosen it one turn. It freed it up some, but I dont promise it wouldnt ruin yours.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran into this also over the years. Tried three different brands of clutches and they all did this. Have to rev the engine way up to finally get it to declutch some. Drive in third gear for a couple miles with it roaring. Finally just gave up and put an electric in it. Sure don't understand this.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We've had members complain about the (fan) roar of the aftermarket clutches, with OE being the quietest (pricey, yes, but I see them as still available).

Last edited:

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric conversion is the way to go. I do all my vehicles. I generally try to find a fan out of a V6 or V8 Ford - Crown Vic, Mustang, Windstar, etc. They have to pull a lot of air thru those tiny Ford grilles, so they pull a lot of CFM. I wire a relay to come on with the ignition. Conversion usually takes a couple hours and around $150.

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric conversion is the way to go. I do all my vehicles. I generally try to find a fan out of a V6 or V8 Ford - Crown Vic, Mustang, Windstar, etc. They have to pull a lot of air thru those tiny Ford grilles, so they pull a lot of CFM. I wire a relay to come on with the ignition. Conversion usually takes a couple hours and around $150.
Right on Alex. I pulled the E-fans off my 05 Yukon, relay and harness. Conversion seems straight forward. The only uncertainty I have is the tune afterwords. I need to find a place to get it tuned. I saw a video where a guy got it to work without the tune, but most folks say gotta get the tune after E-fan conversion. Otherwise I got all the stuff to do it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
On your application for your "FAN CLUTCH" not "CLUTCH FAN", there is Heavy Duty, Standard Duty and Severe Duty and the differential gear ratio makes a difference as well. Was any of that info asked for when you bought one at AZ? If not, that may be your problem. Also, the fan clutch depends on the air temp to activate as it flows thru your radiator and condenser. Is there any blockage of the air flow at these two items? Is there even coolant flow through the radiator?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar