Electric fan swap. Got a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qthor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive done a bit of reading but have not found all the answers to my questions. I have a 2004 Gmc Yukon Denali and it has a clutch fan. It had been replaced within the last year along with a cold case radiator, belt, and etc but it is loud when driving most of the time I turn the a/c on. I want to get rid of the clutch fan to free up some power and make the truck more efficent also. As you know the a/c isn't as cool as it can be while idling if air isn't flowing throw the grille. My question is what all do I have to do to swap in the electric fans and what do I need to get besides the fans and relay?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a how to here somewhere. you need a stock harness fans and the pcm tuned to use the fans. or, you can install relays a power switch and a thermal temp sensor to turn the fans on.

i did a e fan swap on my 03 gmc 2500hd. did the thermal temp deal. ac was never colder and it ran a degree or two cooler. back then i had no clue they cold be tuned to work off the pcm. id much rather go that route.

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good youtube explanation below.

I used OEM fans and an OEM harness that had been reworked by ScottyBoy. He is on this site and was awesome to purchase from. You will have to reach out to him to see if he still does that (if you want to use OEM harness).

I bought HP Tuners and did the programming myself. It's not hard at all. Plus down the road you can do a lot more with HP Tuners than if you pay for someone to do it for you. It's very rewarding.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And check if you have the 34” radiator. I _think_ your Denali has a 6.0 so should be fine.

I went the cheap route and tuned it myself using my Tech 2/MDI clone with a combo of TunerPro and PCM Hammer, but HPT sure makes it easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts