Electrical or fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatotherguy88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 05 suburban. It runs good nothing wrong however the electrical fans don't work. I have a new fan clutch on my old 03 Tahoe that lost due to a rear end accident. Can I swap the fan and clutch and the shroud over to the 05 and replace them instead of my electric fans?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanically you can. Same stuff is all there. My question would be: why not just replace 2 fans and be done with it? The extra space for maintenance alone is worth not putting on a mechanical fan, let alone the fuel savings. You are tripping over dimes to pick up pennies IMO

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 05 suburban. It runs good nothing wrong however the electrical fans don't work. I have a new fan clutch on my old 03 Tahoe that lost due to a rear end accident. Can I swap the fan and clutch and the shroud over to the 05 and replace them instead of my electric fans?
I wouldn’t do it.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM settings with AC off in the PCM have fan 1 (low speed) on at 226* ECT and fan 2 (high speed) on at 235* which is quite high. Both side fans turn on, ours don’t control sides individually. I have mine coming on earlier.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235F is 'quite high'? So far as I'm concerned, 235F is nearly overheating. We all have aluminum heads, right?

If your problem is that the fans don't turn on unless you turn on the AC, blame GM, then get your pcm tuned.

Still in awe of how many GMT800s & GMT900s still haven't been tuned yet, especially on this forum.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Love my electric fans. Even when pulling hard up passes and in 3 digit weather, never goes over 200 to 205. My 02, with a fan clutch, ran normally around 215. Now, granted, that is by dash gauge but neither ever over heated or gave me problems but my electric fans work great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019