cheap HIDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Making hid's intentionally look like poseur bulbs is nearly unfathomable to me.

Blue bulbs completely defeat the point of HIDs... more light, and whiter light. Why make them WORSE in good weather and completely useless in poor weather?

Plus the bluer they are, the more you are gonna get flashed, the more glare you are causing oncoming drivers, the more attention from people with badges and people with crowbars... it's all lose-lose.

Fo r a while I had to wear sunglasses at night (corey hart) because of all the ricers with their 6k 8k and 12k (baby blue, super blue, purple) HIDs and all the goobers with $50 blue bulbs cruising around. Thank god for the recession... cleared that crap up pretty effectively.

Some people just don't get it, never will, and/or don't care.

If the box says it's bright and blue, it must be better, right?

laydout97

05'Tahoe
Reaction score
Again, everyone has their own opinion but no where did this thread ask what color lights do you like. It was started to inform a member about HID's. If you don't like the color of the lights, fine, but I also don't remember anyone asking for your opinion either!

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn;t ask for your opinion either.
His choices (and yours) affect other's liberty and safety, as a result it is always permissible to open discussion on his choices of bulb color and suitability of retrofitting, it is part and parcel of providing FULL information.

You are free to spray paint "Cop killer", "I shoot donut eaters", and "Allah Ahkbar" all over your vehicle, drive around with red/blue wig wags on, in the nude, flipping the bird with your butt out the window, while waving a pistol... if you choose to.

Freedom to make mistakes and commit crimes, doesn't mean the right to not hear what a dumb idea it is to do so.

You not only affect those you encounter daily, but it is those stupid ass blue bulbs that cause most of the complaints and caused the NHTSA, etc. to open investigations, and take actions to stop the importation and sale of HID kits.

I'll flatly state the unpopular :
You driving around with blue hids in those POS reflectors = extreme douchebaggery, IMHO.

DSC_0027.jpg

I can understand how tempting it can be to take the quick and easy route, especially on vehicles that came with sealed beams, but this is one of the most offensive light patterns I have ever seen, and blue only makes it worse.

Last edited:

laydout97

05'Tahoe
Reaction score
It's kinda hard to see any kind of light pattern in dense fog and under a street light regardless of who's vehicle it's on. He asked to see the color of the bulb. I was being helpful to show him. I never asked for anyone's opinion on what they thought about my vehicle. If you don't like it, fine. I don't expect you to. I didn't come on this forum to cause trouble, I came here to be helpful. I haven't seen anyone else showing him bulb colors and I don't see you telling him the RIGHT choice.

Cartwright

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep it on topic guys. The OP was not asking for your opinions on the color of lights and if you like them or not.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
actually my choice is 6000k because the discription was as follows "6000k - bright white"

However, to each their own gentleman... for sure no need to get upset!

EDIT-- BTW Eagle, what do you mean by cheap ass reflectors? Are the HID's not going to work right with my factory lights?

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Ty, good choice on the color. It will be a little blue looking at it, but mostly white on the road.

To answer your other question, your lights, being reflectors, are not made for HID's. So no, they won't work, at least not correctly. And that's my and I think Eagle's whole point. HID's are designed for HID projectors only...not any old light you want to throw them. They are 300% more light then stock bulbs.

Reflectors simply openly reflect whatever light is available into a non-focused direction; essentially, they put the light in front of your car. More light=more light in front of your car. That is good for you, bad for oncoming traffic. Reflectors have no way to limit glare to other drivers. Projectors have very focused beams of light with specific cut-off points to keep the beam of light from HID's out of traffic's eyes.

Short version, HID's aren't even legal in your lights. This isn't to start an argument or anything, but there is a reason for that. Check out the pics of my lights in the tech section to see a focused beam with appropriate cut-off to keep the light out of on-coming eyes. There are aftermarket lights you can get with decent projectors that can help greatly enhance the HID's, even if they aren't a "true" HID projector. You may want to look into getting a set of those.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
Just to add, Putting HIDS in denali projectors, is alot better, As they atleast have the proper optics to cut off glare from oncoming traffic.

But I should add that remember, Even cars today have reflector HIDS, 09 back mustang, 07 back navigator, Even the new prius, new town car, some Lexus, new volvo xc90s, etc, all have reflector HIDS, So reflectors can be designed to handle HIDS, Its just that ours are not, But I gotta say that the reflectors on my 07 yukon are pretty damn good and look just like stock HID Reflectors, the cutoff is actually pretty sharp , and the beam is just as good as when I had halogens in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove

Latest posts