cheap HIDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
HIghbeams shouldnt matter, cause well, their highbeams, you dont use them around other people and when you see another car you shut them off.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT-- BTW Eagle, what do you mean by cheap ass reflectors? Are the HID's not going to work right with my factory lights?

in his pics he had a set of those diamond back sealed beam conversion lights... and they are terrible, terrible pattern, and iirc the pattern isn't even DOT legal ( dot =bad,lots of upthrown light and hot spots, but tolerable).

6000 Kelvin isn;t bright white, 4300K is, while 5000K has a hint of blue, just enough to make your brain think they are whiter. 6k is white with blue highlights, if that makes any sense, unless you are overdriving the capsules by 40% with a 55w ballast. in that case a '6000k' bulb gets washed out to about 4300k.

the reason for the 'blue' bulbs is because you don't get any color shift with a reflector like you do on the cutoff line of a projector... it's strictly to make sure it LOOKS like you have HIDs.

this is a reasonably well controlled pattern (E codes).

100_1498.gif

An i'm sorry for being so damn touchy but some ******** nearly killed my family because he had purple HID... he couldn't see any light on the wet road while simultaneously blinding the hell out of me, I couldn't see the road, him, anything... just a wall of purplish white light.

Rollin Thunder

Reaction score
^^^ the cutoff is good on that, but the beam spread is CRAP!!! My yukons reflectors have a much better spread than that, no hotspots at all, I need to get a pic up. I have 4300k 55w HIDS in the yukon and they have a good bit of blue in them, more than I would like, the ballests say 55w and the bulbs say 4300k, The bulbs are DDM but the ballests are off an older kit of mine thats much higher quality. Maybe I need some new bulbs.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Even 4300k has a tiny bluish tint to it when being viewed from the front. Not sure why, since the light is definitely not tinged blue, at least on mine. I had 55w ddm's in 5000k in my old car and they were too blue for me. Enough to wash out pretty bad on wet roads.

That's another thing for everyone to consider, too, when choosing color. If all you want is to look cool, fine. I won't argue. But if you honestly want good light keep in mind that the bluer it is the worse the light is. I don't just mean in terms of lumens (brightness), either. It is actually less effective and harder on your eyes. When it's raining, snowy, or foggy, they are especially bad as the blue wavelength is short and scatters easily.

There is a reason OEM headlights are the color they are: It is the most effective and least stressful on human eyes, which are made to function their best in daylight.

Not trying to lecture, just educate so people make knowledgeable decisions.

:)

/end lesson

Oh...and someone try these out and report back on what happens to your housings after leaving them on for a while: http://www.dxhid.com/70wattxenon.htm

I cannot believe anyone is actually selling these.

Last edited:

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for the love of god, please don't run 8ks in your DRLs + Lows with the low 4 diode hack!
some Summers Eve mofo in an 04 Silvy on 24s had that set up on the way home from the store a couple of hours ago.. Migrane inducing after 6 minutes of being followed and/or alternating places in traffic!
The headlights were pretty bad, but the DRL HIDs... ouch!

RT: those were the 18 year old second hand E-code projectors in my old 5 series.
Long focal length, so not so much beam spread unlike modern HID projectors (aka TSX). When you think about it, less beam spread is the best way to get good light where you need it at 130 mph (well down the road) from just a plain jane h1 bulb.

I'm quite disappointed that I can't find any Ecode/Export headlights for the Tahoe.
I guess I'll have to retrofit my own projectors, try depo, or depo+retro like DenaliAK did.

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Reaction score
Even 4300k has a tiny bluish tint to it when being viewed from the front. Not sure why, since the light is definitely not tinged blue, at least on mine. I had 55w ddm's in 5000k in my old car and they were too blue for me. Enough to wash out pretty bad on wet roads.

That's another thing for everyone to consider, too, when choosing color. If all you want is to look cool, fine. I won't argue. But if you honestly want good light keep in mind that the bluer it is the worse the light is. I don't just mean in terms of lumens (brightness), either. It is actually less effective and harder on your eyes. When it's raining, snowy, or foggy, they are especially bad as the blue wavelength is short and scatters easily.

There is a reason OEM headlights are the color they are: It is the most effective and least stressful on human eyes, which are made to function their best in daylight.

Not trying to lecture, just educate so people make knowledgeable decisions.

:)

/end lesson

Oh...and someone try these out and report back on what happens to your housings after leaving them on for a while: http://www.dxhid.com/70wattxenon.htm

I cannot believe anyone is actually selling these.

Just ordered a 9005 kit, Just to see how bright it really is.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Awesome!

You will have to take pics and post results. I gotta see this.

Tdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what would a pair of 9005CB's bulbs be like?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65