Changing out front calipers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some new calipers and pads for my 03 2500 CC,reading about how holding the brake pedal down before removing the fluid hose will stop fluid from dripping out?

Is this true,seems kinda odd.I dont have anything to plug it so was just going to remove and stab into the new one quickly.Then bleed.

Any tips,changed brakes many of times but never a new caliper.Cheers.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loosen the bolt while the caliper is mounted. If it's stiff, easy pressure back and forth until it moves. If no luck, then MAPP gas torch the head for a bit and try again. If it's completely rusted out, just put a new hose on and F the caliper connection with some side cutters. You'll need some good wrenches for the brake line connection as well, maybe some heat. Last resort tho, as you can usually get the bolt out of the caliper with some heat.

OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well frig,looks like I got the wrong ones.They used my vin so obviously the parts guy is blind.Anyway cleaned the area of rust that the clips sit on since I had it apart,greased everything .Had an awful squeal not sure what that's about.Figured Id find uneven wear on the pads but nope,still have lots of life.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not press the pedal down. Crack the lid open on the master cylinder. Remove the caliper hose, let it hang upright and leak. Remove the old caliper. Position the new caliper with the hose port upright and let the leaking hose fill the caliper up and flowing out. Once it is doing this bolt the new hose on snug. Then position the caliper so the bleeder screw is at 12'oclock, break it open and let it flow out some. Then install everything to proper torqued. Then you can do a brake bleed after that. Whatever you do DO NOT bottom out the brake pedal, only a half stroke at a time.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Do not press the pedal down. Crack the lid open on the master cylinder. Remove the caliper hose, let it hang upright and leak. Remove the old caliper. Position the new caliper with the hose port upright and let the leaking hose fill the caliper up and flowing out. Once it is doing this bolt the new hose on snug. Then position the caliper so the bleeder screw is at 12'oclock, break it open and let it flow out some. Then install everything to proper torqued. Then you can do a brake bleed after that. Whatever you do DO NOT bottom out the brake pedal, only a half stroke at a time.
f6f.gif
ONE STROKE, ONE STROKE!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat