Change of plans, need stereo help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought a complete system from Crutchfield a while back for my C4. because I barely drive it and now have this 01 Tahoe I want to just put what I have in it. what I have is a Pioneer DD, Pioneer 4 channel amp, 2 JBL 6x9's and 2 JBL 6.5 components and an 8" Bazooka tube. has anyone mounted 6x9's in the rear doors? and 6.5 in front doors? My Tahoe has the factory sub but due to having the tube I probably wont use stock location for that unless I decide to install the Bazooka speaker and built in amp for the tube into stock location. I doubtful it will sound as good as the tube if I just strapped it it place. thanks for any input. IMG_20190505_175926288.jpg IMG_20190424_210534472.jpg IMG_20190613_153552914.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't done myself but I have seen it done, some cutting would be required, the oem rear door speakers are 6/6.5

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, see if you can swap the 6x9's with somebody, or simply purchase a set of 6.5's for the rear doors. I think that modifying the doors for the 6x9's would be more trouble than it is worth, and you won't get significantly better sound, particularly where you are already planning to use a sub-woofer in the system.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, see if you can swap the 6x9's with somebody, or simply purchase a set of 6.5's for the rear doors. I think that modifying the doors for the 6x9's would be more trouble than it is worth, and you won't get significantly better sound, particularly where you are already planning to use a sub-woofer in the system.
That was my first thought too (for most people), but I've seen the other threads OP has been posting, and thought that was almost silly to say after the amount of work the OP seems to have easily accomplished.
If the components and 6x9s will use the same wattage off the one amp, then no problem. If you are cool with cutting it, and not being able to go back without a lot more work, then go ahead.

Not sure if you would put the tube in if it will fit, or if you plan on pulling the subwoofer out anyways. My guess is unless you wanted to weld in a solid bracket for added stiffness you are going to have trouble finding something, unless you canabalize that factory enclosure.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...woofer-drivers-to-fit-in-01-02-oem-box.74175/

OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_20190423_201952270.jpg
That was my first thought too (for most people), but I've seen the other threads OP has been posting, and thought that was almost silly to say after the amount of work the OP seems to have easily accomplished.
If the components and 6x9s will use the same wattage off the one amp, then no problem. If you are cool with cutting it, and not being able to go back without a lot more work, then go ahead.

Not sure if you would put the tube in if it will fit, or if you plan on pulling the subwoofer out anyways. My guess is unless you wanted to weld in a solid bracket for added stiffness you are going to have trouble finding something, unless you canabalize that factory enclosure.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...woofer-drivers-to-fit-in-01-02-oem-box.74175/
Not sure if my post on subwoofer was clear. I was just spitballing. idea would be to disassemble the bazooka tube of all components. mount the sub itself in the location of the in place of factory sub, mount the other components that come out of the tube(internal amp, through enclosure wire connector/jack and find a location for those which are very small and mount either in or on outside of factory enclosure. hope that makes more sense. as far as other stuff yes front and rear door speakers will be powered by a Pioneer 4 channel I think it's 40/channel rms. here is all my equipment. thanks for the cred in your reply. I have been doing all my own work for over 40 years. always nice to ask advice. looks like the 6x9 will fit in rear doors without too much trouble. always good to see others do. sometimes others ideas are a wake up call to point you in the right direction. thanks for input.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GMA4704/Pioneer-GM-A4704.html?tp=35782

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AV211EX/Pioneer-AVH-211EX.html?tp=20217

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GX600C-2...ds=jbl+gx600c&qid=1563936278&s=gateway&sr=8-1

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those 6x9s run 3 ohms, and those 6.5s are 2.3 ohms. I don't think your amp is going to be able to run both loads differently.

That amp would do better to power only those 6.5's, bridged as a 2ch. You could get another amp for your 6x9s but if you didn't already need to upgrade your electrical (big 3/ alt/ batt) you would then.

IMO, I would do just the 6.5s up front with the amp and not even bother with the 6x9s. You can always see how it sounds, and decide where you want to go from there. If you haven't cut up the door yet, I wouldn't if the plan is to run all those speakers off that amp.

EDIT: If you're willing, I would get a matching set of 6.5's for the rear. Mostly to match the ohms, and wattage. I think you would be fine running those for just the fronts alone with that amp, (a little high, but you should be all right), but for a minimal cost, I think you could have a nice matched setup with a second pair in the back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
matching set of components? or just another set of 6.5?

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another set of those GX600C is going to be running the same frequency range, power level, and response to that power level. Which will make: fine tuning any equalizer settings, tuning to volume change, timing, frequency cut off, stuff you don't need to adjust to get that surround sound right, anything more than (maybe needing) a notch or two on the fader. They are right in that RMS sweet spot, they are the right size so you don't have to worry about cutting up the panel, and on the long shot one of them goes bad, you can buy a new set and have a spare component for the four, and not for the two. IMO its just better to match up the speakers if that's a close option, and then adjust what you might need to knowing that all the speakers are going to act the same.

It really is like you already have your front set of tires, and now you need the rears. You COULD get a set that were fine tuned, and different from what you have up front, but there are many more reasons to just match it up to make things easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another set of those GX600C is going to be running the same frequency range, power level, and response to that power level. Which will make: fine tuning any equalizer settings, tuning to volume change, timing, frequency cut off, stuff you don't need to adjust to get that surround sound right, anything more than (maybe needing) a notch or two on the fader. They are right in that RMS sweet spot, they are the right size so you don't have to worry about cutting up the panel, and on the long shot one of them goes bad, you can buy a new set and have a spare component for the four, and not for the two. IMO its just better to match up the speakers if that's a close option, and then adjust what you might need to knowing that all the speakers are going to act the same.

It really is like you already have your front set of tires, and now you need the rears. You COULD get a set that were fine tuned, and different from what you have up front, but there are many more reasons to just match it up to make things easier.

if I got another set of the 600C what would I do with the tweeters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy