UPDATE on 8" Shallow Mount Subwoofer drivers to fit in 01-02 OEM box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since speaker manufacturers never cease to discontinue models, if for no other reason than to generate new business by being able to say "NEW model", it is time to update the list of drop in replacement subwoofer candidates that will fit inside the GM OEM stock subwoofer enclosure designed for the 2000-2002 Suburban and Yukon XL and long wheel base Denali.

But first, let's go over the important speaker fitting dimensions of the factory subwoofer enclosure. The critical fitment dimensions for the 2000-2002 SUBURBAN and YUKON XL long wheelbase OEM subwoofer enclosure are different than the Tahoe and Yukon subwoofer enclosure. I only know the dimensions for the SUBURBAN / YUKONXL.

Internal Volume of Enclosure: Roughly 0.425 cu ft / 12 liters , NOT including the required deduction for driver displacement and the compressed volume of soft internal baffling to arrive at net box volume.

Mounting LAND Depth: From back of box directly behind centerline of magnet to the recessed mounting land that the original basket drops into: 3.125" (79.38 mm)

Mounting FACE Depth: From back of box directly behind centerline of magnet to the forwardmost external flat front face of the box, disregarding the mounting recess: 3.4375" (87.31 mm)

Mounting RING Diameter: From outer edge to outer edge of mounting recess land only. There are no holes in this land, but the speaker basket mounting lip nests neatly into it: 8.375" (212.725 mm)

Mounting TAB Diameter: From mounting tab ear outer edge extending beyond the circular recess to the diagonally opposing mounting tab ear outer edge extending beyond the circular recess, irrespective of mounting hole centers within these ear tabs: 9.250" (234.95 mm)

Mounting SCREW Distance On Center: The on center distance between each of the four original mounting screws at the recessed ear tab extensions, as defined by an imaginary equilateral square, where each corner of this square represents the center point of the original screw hole of the four original mounting tabs: 6.00" (152.4 mm)

Hole Cut Out Diameter: Original hole driver basket fits through: 7.250" (184.15 mm)

The above dimensions apply to the enclosure.

Below are just a few facts about the original driver:

Original Driver Depth: Of actual driver, not of available depth clearance: 3.125" (79.375 mm)

Original Driver Weight: Of actual driver, not including enclosure: 3.5 lbs. (1.59 kg)

It's a pretty hefty OEM driver, that says "U.S.A." on the back of it. Considering that so many of the aftermarket drivers in the small 8" size are made in China, even those offered by big name brands like JL Audio, one has to wonder if these OEM drivers are actually built better, but for the natural decay of the foam surround.

Also, you can repair this factory 8" subwoofer driver, if all that is "blown" is the foam surround. A replacement foam surround kit, with adhesive and instructions, is available online for about $18. Just search for part number EASA20PL03A1, which is printed on the back of the magnet, along with USA. That part number will lead to dozens of links on Amazon, eBay, and other sites, selling a foam surround replacement kit. The speaker is described as being manufactured by Panasonic, not Bose.

The 8" driver not being made by Bose actually makes a lot of sense, because during the some of the same model years that this 8" subwoofer enclosure was being offered, there was a different enclosure available for the Denalis and Escalades. That fancier sub enclosure was made by Bose, using their "Accoustimass" design principles.

The Accoustimas enclosure was shaped differently, but still fit within the space defined by the mounting location of the more traditional sealed 8" sub discussed above. The Bose difference was that it had two port holes instead of a speaker driver directly behind the grille area. The actual driver was tucked away deep inside the enclosure, and was much smaller than 8". The photos I've seen of it make it appear to be an oblong shaped driver, about 3" x 5" as a rough estimate. But in that unit, the driver and the ported enclosure and the amp driving them are sonically engineered for the 2000-2002 "Luxury" Y91 audio package.

Now, back to the list:

This list is geared toward the long wheel base models, simply because the box is shallower directly behind the driver opening, and as such the sub replacement options are fewer, than for the shorter wheelbase models whose OEM box is of a different design. If you have a Tahoe or Yukon, and want to contribute to this list by reporting your success at dropping in a particular model replacement sub, then please make note of that fact you have a short wheelbase in your post, because it makes a difference.

The first model Sub I'd like to start this thread off with is the popular Pioneer TS-SW841D.. It appears to be discontinued as of this writing, but still might be available at various retailers who may have remaining stock. This was a very popular replacement, in no small part due to its shallowest in the industry 2.5" mounting depth, and the 7.375" cut out diameter that is reported to drop right into place. This is dubious, according to my recent measurement of the cut out, but difference might be idiosyncratic to the basket angle.

The TS-SW841D also works with a very low internal cu ft volume in a sealed enclosure, as low as 0.15 cu ft, up to 0.50 cu ft. The GROSS estimated internal volume of the stock sub box for the Suburban is 0.42 cu in, so by the time you calculate the displacement volume of the speaker plus the compressed aggregate of any polyfill or jute pad baffling inside, a reasonable estimate of 0.32 cu ft NET internal volume is likely, which is right smack in the middle of the designed for range.

However, Pioneer has released a replacement to this model, that has higher sensitivity, lower frequency response, better matched impedence to the original sub, and higher power handling, all with almost the same shallow depth, at just 2.62". The model is the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2.

By reviewing the template in the instruction manual, it appears that outermost diameter of this new sub will not drop into the recess of the factory sub box. The factory sub box recess is 8.375". The outermost diameter of the mounting flange to the TS-SW2002D2 is stated to be 8.93", per the template print.

Well, that's it for the first installment of this list. As I learn about more replacement shallow mount 8" subs that are currently available in 2015, as opposed to long since discontinued in yesteryears , I'll add the new models to this thread, and try and figure out the models they replaced. Please feel free to do the same.

I've already made massive edits to this first post, and will continue to edit it as time permits, in order to add the additional shallow mount subs that seem like viable replacement candidates.

Last edited:

DiggityDots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stock sub...

My stock sub exploded on my 01 Yukon xl. Non Bose system. I replaced all door speakers with kickers that I had found for fairly cheap. I really would like to find another woofer to put in my truck. Have you came across a new list yet?

dhulsey779

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 03 Tahoe, I was able to find a factory rear sub box at of a 01 Tahoe and mounted it in the rear cargo area just like it was factory from 00-02. I did a JBL 8" swallow mount as well. So not only do I have the factory sub in the center console on my 03, but a bit extra "Thump" coming from the rear.

Sub.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you came across a new list yet?

I'm not coming across any list... I'm making the list as I run across viable candidates, as time allows. You can help make this list too.

I made a similar list on this website two years ago, and recently edited that list two days ago, but decided that the earlier list and the thread were too old, and the topic title didn't indicate a list was even in the thread, so it was time to start a new one.

Interesting that your stock driver in your 01 YXL blew up. Factory or aftermarket head unit? Foam surround deterioration, or seriously high volumes?

OP
OP
S

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had time to add more speaker models yet, but I did update the opening post with specific OEM enclosure dimensions that I measured personally this afternoon with the OEM driver removed.

DiggityDots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not coming across any list... I'm making the list as I run across viable candidates, as time allows. You can help make this list too.

I made a similar list on this website two years ago, and recently edited that list two days ago, but decided that the earlier list and the thread were too old, and the topic title didn't indicate a list was even in the thread, so it was time to start a new one.

Interesting that your stock driver in your 01 YXL blew up. Factory or aftermarket head unit? Foam surround deterioration, or seriously high volumes?

It blew out. The foam shredded. Mainly cause of high volumes I would assume. I replaced all my door speakers with kickers but with out that sub its just strictly treble and it makes my ears bleed! I heard that sundown audio sd2 would fit.

OP
OP
S

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DiggityDots... Since you've already replaced all your door drivers with Kicker branded components, you might as well consider a Kicker branded 8" subwoofer. Kicker makes at least five (5) current model 8" subwoofer drivers that are designated "shallow mount". As Kicker's advertising slogan says... "Bass. It's what we do. Bass. It's whats for dinner." Something like that.

But there is shallow mount, and then there is REALLY shallow mount, and the GM OEM subwoofer enclosure for the long wheelbase Suburban and Yukon XL (part # 15766433) is super shallow where the driver itself mounts, due to the encroachment of the fuel fill pocket from the outside.

Therefore, of the five so called "shallow mount" 8" subwoofer driver's that Kicker now makes, only ONE has specs that indicate it will fit properly in the GM enclosure. And yup, it's their most expensive 8" round driver of course. The Kicker Comp RT8. Note the letter "T". The T is the key.

KICKER COMP RT - 8" PASS
Outer Frame Diameter: 8.375"
Mounting Depth: 2.6875"
Hole Cut Out: 7.0"
Sealed Volume Minimum: 0.2 cu ft, or 5.66 liters
Sealed Volume Maximum: 1.25 cu ft, or 35.2 liters
Pole Vent behind Magnet: None. And that's a good thing, due to lack of space
Impedance: 2 Ohms net
Voice Coils: Dual (2 x 1 Ohm)
Power Handling: 300 watts RMS. Root Mean Square, NOT just "peak power".
Suggested List Price: $149.95

Compare the Comp RT8 specs with the enclosure specs I measured in the opening post to this thread. Everything fits. It should drop right into the circular recess.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There are two versions of the Comp RT 8. If you want to match the same 2 ohm impedance of the factory subwoofer driver, then be sure and buy the 1 ohm per voice coil version, so that you can wire the coils in series to match 2 ohms. If you buy the 2 ohm per voice coil version, then you will be stuck with either a 1 ohm load in parallel, or a 4 ohm load in series, neither of which will match the 2 ohm impedance of the factory amp. If using an aftermarket amp, then the 4 ohm load will be typically be just fine.

Now, I'll list the other four Kicker 8" subwoofers. They are ALL called "Comp", which is heck of confusing, as one is even called the Comp R2 8, but it doesn't have a T, and doesn't fit to a T.

Kicker Comp R 2 - 8" FAIL.
Mounting Depth: 4.047" Way Too Deep for GM enclosure.
Sealed Volume Minimum: 0.4 cu ft Doesn't allow for driver displacement.

Kicker Comp S 2 - 8" FAIL.
Sealed Volume Minimum: 0.5 cu ft Needs too large of an internal volume enclosure.
Mounting Depth: 3.875" Too deep. Might fit with a front face spacer, but there's a
Pole Vent behind Magnet: Yes. A problem if the magnet is against back of box.

Kicker Comp D 2 - 8" FAIL.
Sealed Volume Minimum: 0.5 cu ft Needs an enclosure larger than GM OEM.
Mounting Depth: 3.875" Too deep. Might fit with a front face spacer, but there's a
Pole Vent behind Magnet: Yes. A problem if the magnet is against back of box.

Kicker Comp 4 - 8" FAIL.
Sealed Volume Minimum: 0.5 cu ft. Needs an enclosure larger than GM OEM.
Mounting Depth: 4.047" Way Too Deep for GM enclosure.
Outer Ring Diameter: 8.5" Won't drop in the 8.375" recessed land in GM box.
Power Handling: 100 watts RMS. If you popped the factory driver, you'll pop this.

Note: I'm not sure how the Comp D2 differs from the Comp S2 above it. Once a driver failed two or more parameters, I stopped notating the other specs. I only noted the specs that were the reasons for rejection. No further consideration was warranted.

Source: Kicker website, as found on August 7, 2015.

Yo Diggity: What are you doing with your old OEM sub that you blew to bits? I'd like it. I'll pay shipping for it. Obviously, I'm obsessed. My name is Sub, and I'm a subaholic. PM me.

Last edited:

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did alot of research and was looking for a go sub that was not expensive hit hard and fit sub box and went with this sub. Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch. I had to modify the box a little by sanding down the front but in the end glad i did the sub sounds nice in the box and I didnt have to cut the grill mesh in front of it or anything like that . It also is rated to hit 20hz, which is tuff for 8 todo.

OP
OP
S

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that Pioneer TS-SW2002D2-8 is the one mentioned in the opening post, and in fact is the subwoofer that inspired me to create this new thread, since it replaced the previous and popular TS-SW814-D.

Slowly but surely, I'm working on adding more subs to the list.

One of the more promising candidates is the Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 Series... the P3SD4-8. This is a dual 4 ohm voice coil. There is also and equivalent dual 2 ohm voice coil version, but if you want to replace the driver only in the GM OEM factory sub box, while still using the factory amplifier only, then the dual 4 ohm voice coil would better match the impedence of the original GM / Panasonic sub woofer driver, which is a single 2 ohm voice coil.

Rockford's dual 4 ohm voice coil can be wired in parallel, yielding a net 2 ohm load, which can't be done with a dual 2 ohm voice coil. I'm taking the time to make this distinction, because I've already heard from someone who didn't realize the difference with the Kicker sub mention in the previous post. Fortunately, that person already planned on using a supplemental subwoofer amp, so matching the impedance of the subwoofer output stage of the original GM amplifier wasn't that important in the long run.

The P3SD4-8 has 2.5" shallow mounting depth, and a 0.4 cu ft internal volume spec for a sealed enclosure. That all looks good. It also has a 7.13" cut out diameter, which is the dimension for the basket to fit inside the enclosure, not for the rim to fit inside of the recess. I tried to obtain the spec for the speaker rim diameter, but it was not listed on either Rockford Fosgate's website, nor a major retailer's. I tried to download the manual, but it wouldn't load. I'll probably have to call.

I'm also investigating 3 different offerings from MBQuart, and a super shallow 8" sub with a very unique design made by Earthquake, designed for under the seats of BMW's.

DiggityDots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got the kicker conp rt8 and it is pretty damn good. I don't listen to much music with lots of bass. But I was tired of having none in there. I am waiting till next month to order a separate amp to run the sub. The kicker fit perfectly in the stock box. Seems as tho it does need a little more room to get a good boom but, all in all it works out quite well.

I bought the 2ohms per coil kicker. At the time I didn't know there was a 1ohm per coil sub... But, thanks to "Sub" (the Subwoofer master on this post) I learned a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't know before. So my kicker is only running off 1 coil technically. But for a Yukon xl you know the sub is 8' away and still hits pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons