Center console question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron. I haven't poked around too much under there. Last weekend I ran power to the backup cam from behind the head unit but that's the only place I've checked out. I'll order my USB outlets and start working on the wiring layout this weekend.

Hi Stephen

For the USBs (charging only) I got a GM part, that had the whole panel and used the USB ports, that was way cheaper than getting the individual USB/lighter ones (you'd need a power converter though to go down from 12v )

Ron

OP
OP
J

Jbirdstruck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow! You guys are awesome!! This is my first post, but I can tell this is a valuable resource!

I will try to get at the heart of my original question. I do not want rear entertainment or ac or radio. I do want cup holders, cubby and 12v outlet. Is there a console I can get that is already set up that way (Silverado, avalanche, other). Or do I have to buy with ent, ac, radio and change it out. When I look online I see two options for the Tahoe. One is the entertainment option, and I thought the only other way to get it was with the ac/radio controls. I am really not familiar with these Tahoes and their options!

Thanks!

PS! Thanks for all the replies and for helping with the wiring (which probably would have been my next question!)

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! You guys are awesome!! This is my first post, but I can tell this is a valuable resource!

I will try to get at the heart of my original question. I do not want rear entertainment or ac or radio. I do want cup holders, cubby and 12v outlet. Is there a console I can get that is already set up that way (Silverado, avalanche, other). Or do I have to buy with entertainment, AC, radio and change it out. When I look online I see two options for the Tahoe. One is the entertainment option, and I thought the only other way to get it was with the ac/radio controls. I am really not familiar with these Tahoes and their options!

Thanks!

PS! Thanks for all the replies and for helping with the wiring (which probably would have been my next question!)

Hello Jay,

I have the impression that most of them come with "something" in there, usually audio, sometimes, audio/video, sometimes AC controls, and probably rarely a "cubby" (that is how I found out there are cubbies for it).

It seems (of course) that the rare ones are more expensive. So if you want to go 'basic' just get the best bang for your buck model (on ebay or so) for your truck, and take out what you don't need.

I cut off the connectors from the (typical) part of harness that is in there and wired it up with a few feet of red/black wire so I can reach the keyed power near the roll over sensor, and hook black to the dash/steering column frame. (I also connected the wireless phone charger, that I built into the console lid, to it, and a CB radio)

My center console came out of a Silverado LTZ, Chevy Silverado's )etc) Chevy Tahoe, Suburbun, GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade (sp?) use a lot of the same trim/interior parts, it is just a matter of looking around.

Mine I bought for around $150, but needed a new rear trim piece, a front "extender" and of course that cubby. The nice thing about that console is that you can buy pretty much every part for it. (So if you find an inexpensive one, but with a crappy lid, you could replace the lid or the skin. There are trays, cup holders etc etc etc. Just browse on ebay or so to see what options you have.

(A bit over a year ago I jumped on an old thread about center consoles and Radio upgrade (to Nav etc), ever since I have see these old threads revived avery few weeks/months)

Ron

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Stephen

For the USBs (charging only) I got a GM part, that had the whole panel and used the USB ports, that was way cheaper than getting the individual USB/lighter ones (you'd need a power converter though to go down from 12v )

Ron

PS: it's the part below the radio, there are two cigarette sockets, and the buttons for traction control, pedal adjustment etc etc. The one I bought had 2 sockets instead of cigarette lighters. The complete parts was something like $30, about the price of one USB socket. (the part was old model overstock, the USB sockets I found were not)

OP
OP
J

Jbirdstruck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Thanks Ron!

That was exactly what I needed to know. I have read the other thread you mentioned and found a lot of the questions I had answered there. I am ordering this from a used parts dealer and I just wanted to make sure the rear part was not easy, or possible, to find already set up the way I want. I think you have cleared that up for me. AND, I just gotta say the wireless charger idea and advice is AWESOME!!!
Thanks Ron!

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Thanks Ron!

That was exactly what I needed to know. I have read the other thread you mentioned and found a lot of the questions I had answered there. I am ordering this from a used parts dealer and I just wanted to make sure the rear part was not easy, or possible, to find already set up the way I want. I think you have cleared that up for me. AND, I just gotta say the wireless charger idea and advice is AWESOME!!!
Thanks Ron!

The wireless charger is actually pretty easy to do. The only thing I changed afterwards was to use a USB cable that has a braided outside instead of plastic/rubber. The rubber/plastic one got pinched/frayed, the braided usb cable doesn't seem to have that problem.
(I also found out that there are differences between the wireless chargers. Double coil ones work better, I bought an inexpensive one, took it apart, and the coil seems the ********* the lid pretty good.

If you need part numbers, if I didn't mention them, I can probably find those somewhere in my email and such. Trim parts vary in price (on ebay) a lot, from ridiculous expensive to ridiculous inexpensive.. it's a matter of shopping around a bit.

Ron

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled mine from a wrecked Hybrid. Ended up paying $100 for it, then had to repaint it (i needed black and bought grey) so that came from touchupdirect.com (2 cans) + matt clear (2 cans). I then purchased a new armrest cover in black on eBay for like $30 and paid around $20 to have professional installed by upholstery shop.

Pulling the center console yourself is a fun challenge. I had to remove the two front seats as the seats cover the console mounts. Installing is the same.

The console I pulled does have the rear air controls. Can’t use so I removed it (and will sell one day on eBay) and in it’s place, glued a small piece of Plexyglass in its spot. In the past I added 5% window tint on the plexyglass then glued in. This time I used high gloss vinyl wrap. Saves about $75-$100 trying to find a rear panel with the cubbie (like others have recommended). Plus with the small portion of plexyglass, you can cut in HDMI, USB, headphone connectors and more to connect with aftermarket radio.

MD Tahoe 13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What year Silverado? The one in my nnbs Sierra was longer than the Tahoe and had an extra cubby in the front.

Not exactly sure. It was just advertised as an '07-'14 console for Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, or Yukon on eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63