Center console question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbirdstruck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,
I just got an 11 ppv Tahoe and am planning on installing a center console. After reading up a bit on here and the net I see that you cannot use any of the controls that tend to come on used floor consoles. I have also seen that some have replaced those controls with a cubby/cup holder from a Silverado. My question is can I simply install a 2011 Silverado console in my 2011 Tahoe? Thanks for any help!!

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Jay,

yeah the install is actually pretty forward. Your ppv probably has the basic radio and no video consoles, and if rear seat air, it's in the ceiling? Then more than likely you don't have the wiring harness in the dash to hook that console up. Some used ones come with audio/video, air. Physically it fits.

I indeed put a cubby in the back (because it looked weird to have that audio thing there and not working).

I also put navigation and a backup camera in, for the OEM navigation you need an amplifier (there are plugin models) and there is enough room under the console and in the dash to put all that in. (I actually added an SSD so all my music is in the car too. For a bit I also had a raspberry PI3 in there, so I could wirelessly connect through wifi.

But Anyway, putting the console in is pretty easy, using the controls it comes with pretty much impossible unless you completely redo the dash harness. the updates I did are pretty easy.

Ron

MD Tahoe 13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put a used Silverado console into my 2013 SSV. I bought it on eBay. Didn’t bother trying to connect any of the wiring based on what I read. It was a pretty easy install. There are a few threads on the site with good instructions if you do a search. I had to cut into some of the plastic on the underside of the console to make it fit over the black box on the floor between the two front seats.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a used Silverado console into my 2013 SSV. I bought it on eBay. Didn’t bother trying to connect any of the wiring based on what I read. It was a pretty easy install. There are a few threads on the site with good instructions if you do a search. I had to cut into some of the plastic on the underside of the console to make it fit over the black box on the floor between the two front seats.
What year Silverado? The one in my nnbs Sierra was longer than the Tahoe and had an extra cubby in the front.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mine might have come out of an Avalanche. I did wire up the 12volt outlets though.
Mind sharing what you did on the 12v outlets as far as wiring them up? I'd like to put USB outlets in it where the "dead" accessory outlets are now. Did you wire to something under the dash already or into the fuse box?

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mind sharing what you did on the 12v outlets as far as wiring them up? I'd like to put USB outlets in it where the "dead" accessory outlets are now. Did you wire to something under the dash already or into the fuse box?

I had two also, one in the storage area (under the lid) and one int the back. I hooked mine up to a keyed power wire that you can find under the carpet, near the roll over sensor. (on the middle of the "tranny tunnel"

I used that source also for a CB radio.

Ron

PS: black goes to sheet metal or so (I used a big eye and put it under a bolt under the dask, the frame that holds the steering column and center of the dash up (there are 4 10mm (or 11mm) or so bolts.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had two also, one in the storage area (under the lid) and one int the back. I hooked mine up to a keyed power wire that you can find under the carpet, near the roll over sensor. (on the middle of the "tranny tunnel"

I used that source also for a CB radio.

Ron

PS: black goes to sheet metal or so (I used a big eye and put it under a bolt under the dask, the frame that holds the steering column and center of the dash up (there are 4 10mm (or 11mm) or so bolts.
Good deal. Thanks Ron.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal. Thanks Ron.

Hi Stephen,

There are also a few keyed power sockets in the connection/junction box near the brake pedal, I am using one of those for a backup camera. I posted that here, including a picture and diagram of that box.

Ron

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Stephen,

There are also a few keyed power sockets in the connection/junction box near the brake pedal, I am using one of those for a backup camera. I posted that here, including a picture and diagram of that box.

Ron
Thanks Ron. I haven't poked around too much under there. Last weekend I ran power to the backup cam from behind the head unit but that's the only place I've checked out. I'll order my USB outlets and start working on the wiring layout this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nasser Ali