Can you guys help me diagnose this noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyR

Reaction score
Video:

Only happens when it's warmed up. It has 10W-40 in it which got rid of the cold start ticking, but this hasn't gone away.

ali saleh

Reaction score
I has same exact noise its most like the roller lifter and carbon build up on your next oil change 5 quart of 10w40 and 1 quart Lucas oil stabilizer for the next 3k miles lucas will help lubricate lifter better and do flush before ur next oil change using Gunk Motor flush it will help and run octane 93 for couple fills and the engine will run back smooth just dont forget Using lucas

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check see if it's a rattle in the cats

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I has same exact noise its most like the roller lifter and carbon build up on your next oil change 5 quart of 10w40 and 1 quart Lucas oil stabilizer for the next 3k miles lucas will help lubricate lifter better and do flush before ur next oil change using Gunk Motor flush it will help and run octane 93 for couple fills and the engine will run back smooth just dont forget Using lucas

Why on earth would he need to run 93 octane gas? You do realize these 5.3L engines were designed to run on 87 octane, right? Running a higher octane gas on a bone stock engine does nothing but waste money on fuel. It wont make it run any better or "faster". Higher octane rating does nothing but resist detonation (pre ignition, aka spark knock) in a high compression engine which is not what we are hearing in the video. Thats either valve train noise or the beginnings of a rod knocking. My bet is on valvetrain noise since the 5.3L/4.8/6.0 are notorious for it.

ali saleh

Reaction score
Why on earth would he need to run 93 octane gas? You do realize these 5.3L engines were designed to run on 87 octane, right? Running a higher octane gas on a bone stock engine does nothing but waste money on fuel. It wont make it run any better or "faster". Higher octane rating does nothing but resist detonation (pre ignition, aka spark knock) in a high compression engine which is not what we are hearing in the video. Thats either valve train noise or the beginnings of a rod knocking. My bet is on valvetrain noise since the 5.3L/4.8/6.0 are notorious for it.
I agree with as it wont make a differnce but knock sensor are kniwn to go wrong on this engines which make sense to use 93 octane for a while when noises or pinging are heard

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the knock sensors were bad, it wouldnt make a difference what octane gas was in the tank. They would still give false signals of engine knocking when it isnt.

Replace the lifters and possibly the cam (I would anyway) and the noise will go away. I would imagine that this being a 2001 engine it has quite a few miles on it.

OP
OP
TommyR

TommyR

Reaction score
Check see if it's a rattle in the cats

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cats are fairly new.. Maybe 10 months old? I had one blow out and replaced both.

If the knock sensors were bad, it wouldnt make a difference what octane gas was in the tank. They would still give false signals of engine knocking when it isnt.

Replace the lifters and possibly the cam (I would anyway) and the noise will go away. I would imagine that this being a 2001 engine it has quite a few miles on it.

I was hoping there would be a work around to replacing the lifters. The truck has 330k on it and it just doesn't seem to be worth the money(as much as I love this truck).

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell a 5.3L can be had for $400-$700 all day long. Car-parts.com Swap it out or pay someone to do it. Has to be alot cheaper than getting another newer Tahoe. Thats what I like about all 4 of my K chassis. All paid for and if one dies, no big deal. Stick another engine in it and pay for that in cash and still NO CAR PAYMENT. Ill drive them until the chassis rusts in half.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell a 5.3L can be had for $400-$700 all day long. Car-parts.com Swap it out or pay someone to do it. Has to be alot cheaper than getting another newer Tahoe. Thats what I like about all 4 of my K chassis. All paid for and if one dies, no big deal. Stick another engine in it and pay for that in cash and still NO CAR PAYMENT. Ill drive them until the chassis rusts in half.

X2!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269