Can someone help with trailer braking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what this is all about, helping people think and make good decisions for their set-ups.

We learned a lot of this the hard way. We tow a Trailmanor which has a dry weight of about 3000 lbs. We took a trip with my family and sister up to Kamloops in BC. That 5.3 in our 2002 Tahoe worked pretty ******* the Coquihalla. When we got into Kamloops, I put our vehicle with us in it and our GVCW came to 10050 lbs. The GVCW limit for our Tahoe is about 12000. The weight on the rear axle was 3498 lbs, at the limit. This was before using the WDH. Being our first trip, my wife thought it wise to pack a ton of canned food, fill the freshwater holding tank with water (that was a good idea as we had to stay in a Walmart parking lot that night), plus 3 adults and 2 kids.

There's an example of how much things add up quickly!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up the new portable house today. One of my friends in the UK tells me this is an XL there. Lol.

I ordered the weight distribution hitch that you recommended, Larry, and it’s on the way.

f28eba959e6ee5d41ce1262747d541cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up the new portable house today. One of my friends in the UK tells me this is an XL there. Lol.

I ordered the weight distribution hitch that you recommended, Larry, and it’s on the way.

f28eba959e6ee5d41ce1262747d541cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wife and I spent quite a few years I'm Germany and camping is definitely a luxury there with completely different standards.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my friends in the UK tells me this is an XL there. Lol.
Indeed.

Wife and I spent quite a few years I'm Germany and camping is definitely a luxury there with completely different standards.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Like how they all pull them with a sedan. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read this thread all the way through, along with about a dozen others on towing a trailer on this site and others. Y'all are terrific, so if I may humbly ask your thoughts on whether or not to get a WDH for the following scenario:

We picked up a Keystone Springdale 1800BH (21.6' total length, 3200 empty weight, 440 hitch weight, single axle), and will tow it with our 2012 Yukon XL Denali, which has the factory trailer brake controller. I've pulled industrial and cargo trailers for years, so maneuvering and backing is fine, but this is the first travel trailer I've owned. And yes, I'm going to replace the China-made tires that came on the trailer with Goodyear Endurance's, first thing.

With all of that out of the way, here is my question: Should I bother with a weight distribution hitch for such a small trailer? If so, would a cheaper one like this Husky be sufficient? Thanks for any and all input.

Cheers,
Dave

No need for WD hitch

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do know that you'll likely need an extended shank due to the high level of the hitch on the suburban. I think mine was like 89 bucks in ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645