Can someone help with trailer braking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got 2010 Tahoe LT. Getting ready to purchase a camper. After some research, the vehicle has the following RPO codes: GU6, G80, K5L, Z82, which tells me the vehicle's tow capacity is 8200lbs due to 3.42 differential ratio, HD cooling package, HD Traveling equipment package, and posi locking differential. When looking at a camper today, the seller had 2500 Silverado and had a travel brake controller. Why doesn't my vehicle have it and do I really need it? Does my vehicle apply braking to the trailer without this controller? Is the controller simply a "park brake" equivalent or something else? I am getting ready to tow this 6000lbs trailer and now skeptical that my car's brakes alone will be able to handle the load. Thanks much.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got 2010 Tahoe LT. Getting ready to purchase a camper. After some research, the vehicle has the following RPO codes: GU6, G80, K5L, Z82, which tells me the vehicle's tow capacity is 8200lbs due to 3.42 differential ratio, HD cooling package, HD Traveling equipment package, and posi locking differential. When looking at a camper today, the seller had 2500 Silverado and had a travel brake controller. Why doesn't my vehicle have it and do I really need it? Does my vehicle apply braking to the trailer without this controller? Is the controller simply a "park brake" equivalent or something else? I am getting ready to tow this 6000lbs trailer and now skeptical that my car's brakes alone will be able to handle the load. Thanks much.

You need to have a trailer brake controller. It activates the electric trailer brakes and allows you to set the “gain” of the brakes to match up with what you’re pulling. Without it, the brakes on your trailer will not be functional. You may have to do some final hook-up of some wires at the fuse box under your hood and there is probably a harness with pigtail wires tucked under your drivers dash board by the brake pedal.

Here is a good resource for what it takes to install a brake controller on your vehicle.
https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2010_Chevrolet_Tahoe.htm

OP
OP
T

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to have a trailer brake controller. It activates the electric trailer brakes and allows you to set the “gain” of the brakes to match up with what you’re pulling. Without it, the brakes on your trailer will not be functional. You may have to do some final hook-up of some wires at the fuse box under your hood and there is probably a harness with pigtail wires tucked under your drivers dash board by the brake pedal.

Here is a good resource for what it takes to install a brake controller on your vehicle.
https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2010_Chevrolet_Tahoe.htm
Perfect. This is the answer I was looking for for. Thanks much.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't my vehicle have it

It was an option on our 1500s from 2009 forward. So you know about the wire between the fender and fuse box to activate your aftermarket TBC. There's also a wire bundle under your brake booster that goes to the other stud at the front of the fuse box that provides power to the interior of the trailer or trailer battery.

You can download an Upfitter's Manual for these trucks and see how it works and hooks up. Just remember to disconnect the truck from trailer when the engine is not running so whatever power is on in the trailer will not drain your Tahoe's battery. Such as if you pull into Cracker Barrel for dinner and leave the fridge running on electric or something like that.

Post up some photos of the two hooked up when you can.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Frankly, if you're having to ask such a basic question, I strongly suggest you learn a lot more about towing before you actually hitch up. There's a lot going on when you connect/tow a trailer that weighs more than your tow vehicle. rv.net is the encyclopedic forum for all things RV. There's a separate Travel Trailer forum (click here), and a Tow Vehicle forum (click here), as well as a general Towing forum (click here). Please, before you hitch up and tow a big trailer with your loved ones aboard, educate yourself as much as possible.

BTW, the Tekonsha P3 is the undisputed gold standard of brake controllers. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Br...et/Tahoe/2010/90195.html?VehicleID=2010202969

PS - Don't rely on the RV Salesman/dealership for good information. They just want your money and a sale. When I first got into RVing 15 years ago, I drove onto the lot with my half-ton Suburban. The salesman said, and this is an exact quote, "Oh, that thing can tow anything on the lot." Couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was an option on our 1500s from 2009 forward. So you know about the wire between the fender and fuse box to activate your aftermarket TBC. There's also a wire bundle under your brake booster that goes to the other stud at the front of the fuse box that provides power to the interior of the trailer or trailer battery.

You can download an Upfitter's Manual for these trucks and see how it works and hooks up. Just remember to disconnect the truck from trailer when the engine is not running so whatever power is on in the trailer will not drain your Tahoe's battery. Such as if you pull into Cracker Barrel for dinner and leave the fridge running on electric or something like that.

Post up some photos of the two hooked up when you can.
Thanks you. Yes, I did some reading last night seems that wire connectors are pretty straight forward. Will post pics later.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@intheburbs

It’s weird, my alerts say you quoted my post in this thread yet I have no posts.... in this thread.... lol

View attachment 251517

I did, inadvertently. I guess the website still had one of your replies from a previous session and another thread (that I either did quote, or thought about quoting and had clicked quote) in the cache, so when I added the quote of the OP, it added yours, too, and I only realized after posting, so then I deleted it.