Cam Swap Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austen Leach

Reaction score
When removing the camshaft to install a new one do you have to remove the valve covers and rocker arms if you aren't going to be replacing the springs?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lifters need to come out too. Intake needs to come off. Make sure to put the lifters back in the same hole but if it was me I would do the cam, lifters and pushrods at the same time.

Russ311

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im installing a cam with .553 lift. and i was wondering if i can put a .550 valve spring in there with new valve seals, pushrods, but stock lifters. would this work and not destroy anything? its my daily and im tryign to have it run steady for a long while till i change it up. and a stock torque converter but rebuilt tranny. is there anything im missing? im just installing the following:
btr 224/230 cam stage 4 with .553"/.553" 109 lift.
texas speed .550 valve springs
texas speed push rods
rebuilt 4l60
stock converter : for now.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im installing a cam with .553 lift. and i was wondering if i can put a .550 valve spring in there with new valve seals, pushrods, but stock lifters. would this work and not destroy anything? its my daily and im tryign to have it run steady for a long while till i change it up. and a stock torque converter but rebuilt tranny. is there anything im missing? im just installing the following:
btr 224/230 cam stage 4 with .553"/.553" 109 lift.
texas speed .550 valve springs
texas speed push rods
rebuilt 4l60
stock converter : for now.

TSP has a .550" spring? I thought the smallest they offered was the LS6 spring which, IIRC, is .560".

That's a lot of cam for an otherwise stock 5.3 and stock converter. With that amount of duration and tight LSA, it'll be rowdy for sure.

Russ311

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TSP has a .550" spring? I thought the smallest they offered was the LS6 spring which, IIRC, is .560".

That's a lot of cam for an otherwise stock 5.3 and stock converter. With that amount of duration and tight LSA, it'll be rowdy for sure.
yeah its a good cam with a spring but would it work with no problems for now?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its a good cam with a spring but would it work with no problems for now?

Really, the only way to know for sure is to have those springs measured. People tend to list spring specs three ways: What the spring actually is capable of at it's maximum designed SAFE compression limit- not coil bind, but the maximum with a "cushion". Others list what the spring binds at and others list what it's good for with a cushion on top of it's already safe rated amount.

Or, you can ask TSP. This is not something you wanna guess at.

Russ311

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really, the only way to know for sure is to have those springs measured. People tend to list spring specs three ways: What the spring actually is capable of at it's maximum designed SAFE compression limit- not coil bind, but the maximum with a "cushion". Others list what the spring binds at and others list what it's good for with a cushion on top of it's already safe rated amount.

Or, you can ask TSP. This is not something you wanna guess at.
i am hoping because im getting my car together after an issue with a clanking noise that sounds like its under my car and its like a marbel bouncing but constant that after i got my muffler removed running cats only right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec