Buying a 2015....??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't buy a 15. If you must have this body style do yourself a massive favor and get at least a 17. Go drive one of each and you'll notice how much better the 17 will drive (but still nowhere near as good as a GMT-900).

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a late 2015 Tahoe LTZ in 2019. It’s been outstanding so far. I replaced the MRC front and rear struts within a month of purchase under the warranty program I added to the purchase of the car (never done that before, but so glad I did). I also had to replace the rear video monitor system, again under the extended warranty.

My current complaint is that sometimes (rarely) there is a slight rocking vibration from the engine while stopped and the RPMs drop below 500. This happens once a week of normal daily trips?

Otherwise it’s an outstanding vehicle that I wouldn’t trade in for anything right now... except maybe that Yukon AT4 when it releases. Om nom nom.

I had BBP tune mine & raise idle up to 600 & it purrs now
mine didnt like that 500 range either

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, seems like 2015s aren't much different reliability-wise to 2016s+. Most have the 6-speed transmission compared to 8-speed on 2016s (which some say is a good things as the 6 is tried, true, and proven). In addition the standard checklist and things people already mentioned here, I'd focus on two things which are common on all 2015s+ but maybe more frequently in 2015-2017:
- booming sound
- magnetic ride struts (they suck IMO)

Good luck. Post pics if you pull the trigger.
I think the 8 speed is only used with the 6.2 engine.

Flydex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't buy a 15. If you must have this body style do yourself a massive favor and get at least a 17. Go drive one of each and you'll notice how much better the 17 will drive (but still nowhere near as good as a GMT-900).

What did they change that significantly improved the drive quality?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I know about for sure is the steering gear bushings but I suspect that isn’t all because even putting the bushings in the early trucks don’t make them feel as good as the 17+.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, I don't own one and don't plan to own one so I've never gone through the effort to start comparing part numbers and see what's the same and what's different.

Flydex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OP, for what it’s worth, my ‘15 drives and handles perfectly fine. It drives like a truck, as expected for the platform.

We didn’t get much actual info about the differences between the two model years.

UNOIT

Reaction score
Can you swing a 2016 instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman