Buying a 2015....??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjcpj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd Tahoe.... I have had very good luck owning Tahoes... I owned a 2003 for 10 yrs, selling with 360K miles. I currently have a 2009 with 260K miles...with neither having any serious mechanical problems.

I'm looking to "upgrade " to the newer body style. I've seen some good deals on 2015's

However, knowing GM's reputation, I'm questioning if it is smart to buy a 1st yr model?

Just curious what others have experienced. Will a 2015 give me the reliability I'm used to???
Where there any changes made to subsequent years making them more desirable..??

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a '15 Denali even after reading about some of the issues on here. I couldn't be more happier and I like it much better the the 2012 Tahoe I had and I luved that 'hoe. While I would like to have a new one, the '15 was what I could afford and I am happy with my decision. I would suggest an extended warranty of some sort as these trucks are not cheap to repair.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure to get ALL service records and have a good independent mechanic put it on the rack to check everything out in case you missed something. I would try to find a 2016 if possible.

With that said I have 79K miles on my 2016 and so far [knock on wood] just plain old regular maintenance. Gets serviced every 4-5K miles.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015's blow up as soon as you drive off the lot. Tell your loved ones what you need to and go get it!

Just kidding (kind of I think). They really do seem to have a lot of problems relative to the later years if you go by posts on this forum. I'd do like Miami-Dade said above and try to find a '16 or up if budget allows. I want another Tahoe bad, but I'm waiting to find the right '16+ when the time is right.

That said, I'm sure there's thousands of 15's that are running strong and having no issues. Since this forum is a great place where people can seek help, most of the posts about 15's are problems...so you can get the wrong idea about them. Or they really do have a lot of issues.

My experience with reliability and Tahoes is older is better (pre '07). Those things are selling with old Lexus-like high mileage My '12 had problems whereas my '02 and '96 went over 250K when I stupidly sold them.

No experience yet with the newer ones other than what I see on this forum with regards to how many threads are "Look what I did to my XXXX year Tahoe" vs "My shit just broke on my XXXX year Tahoe".

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, seems like 2015s aren't much different reliability-wise to 2016s+. Most have the 6-speed transmission compared to 8-speed on 2016s (which some say is a good things as the 6 is tried, true, and proven). In addition the standard checklist and things people already mentioned here, I'd focus on two things which are common on all 2015s+ but maybe more frequently in 2015-2017:
- booming sound
- magnetic ride struts (they suck IMO)

Good luck. Post pics if you pull the trigger.

Trailer leader

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd Tahoe.... I have had very good luck owning Tahoes... I owned a 2003 for 10 yrs, selling with 360K miles. I currently have a 2009 with 260K miles...with neither having any serious mechanical problems.

I'm looking to "upgrade " to the newer body style. I've seen some good deals on 2015's

However, knowing GM's reputation, I'm questioning if it is smart to buy a 1st yr model?

Just curious what others have experienced. Will a 2015 give me the reliability I'm used to???
Where there any changes made to subsequent years making them more desirable..??

Trailer leader

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got about 85K on a 2015 Yukon denali w/6.2 engine. My front end is different than tahoes and yukons w/5.3. The only issue I've had is the left upper control arm bushings wore out. I'm assuming manufacturing defect. The dash electronics also blacked out once. Did a software reload and cleared the problem. Only issues

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my 2016. Other than minor issues that are expected, I have never had a day I didn't enjoy owning it.

Flydex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a late 2015 Tahoe LTZ in 2019. It’s been outstanding so far. I replaced the MRC front and rear struts within a month of purchase under the warranty program I added to the purchase of the car (never done that before, but so glad I did). I also had to replace the rear video monitor system, again under the extended warranty.

My current complaint is that sometimes (rarely) there is a slight rocking vibration from the engine while stopped and the RPMs drop below 500. This happens once a week of normal daily trips?

Otherwise it’s an outstanding vehicle that I wouldn’t trade in for anything right now... except maybe that Yukon AT4 when it releases. Om nom nom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt