Budgeting for a paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All, the paint on our 07 Yukon XL Denali is currently in excellent shape, with great gloss and no sun damage. That said, it's starting to chip and flake more easily and my touchups are becoming more frequent accordingly. I fear that the time is coming when it will need a complete repaint in original factory white. Since I like to save for such events ahead of time, I'd like to know if anyone has recent experience with what it might cost to have a body shop do a proper paint job with high-quality paint and clear coat on a Yukon XL Denali with no rust or other body damage - not even a door ding.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s big $ because ALL the clear has to be removed and a lot of prep has to be done. That with the size of the panels for paint & supplies makes it close to $5k+ here in Cali.

It’s one of the reasons I spent $2.5k on the hood & roof, had the rest color sanded and professionally prepared for resale. Trading for a metallic paint paid off as well as all the other do dads.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to save some money look into painting the whole thing in raptor liner. There's all types of colors. Either that or maaco just be prepared to get it wet sanded and buffed afterwards

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s big $ because ALL the clear has to be removed and a lot of prep has to be done. That with the size of the panels for paint & supplies makes it close to $5k+ here in Cali.

It’s one of the reasons I spent $2.5k on the hood & roof, had the rest color sanded and professionally prepared for resale. Trading for a metallic paint paid off as well as all the other do dads.
Thanks, Michael. That's actually not as bad as I thought it might be. I do know the guy that manages the paint shop at a large local dealer chain, through camping, so I may give his office a call.

If you want to save some money look into painting the whole thing in raptor liner. There's all types of colors. Either that or maaco just be prepared to get it wet sanded and buffed afterwards
Thanks for that. My wife drives it most and she'd probably punch me in the face if I took the Raptor Liner route. Lol. I had Maaco do a car for me once about 10 years ago and the finish lasted a few years and started peeling off. I'm willing to pay a good price to have it done right and just wondered what others' experience has been with it.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're keeping it the same color you won't need to remove the clearcoat. With no body work needed that's what we would call a "scuff-n-shoot" and would involve scuffing the entire truck then blending in all of the faded or chipped areas then new clear on the whole truck. Depending on your location, paint code, and if you go with PPG, I would say $4-5K range with supplies and labor.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’d say that’s unrealistic. Body shop that I trust and know does professional work quoted me $8600 to repaint my Yukon xl Denali in 2020. And that’s here in Southern California.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s a longer reach from $5k, but that +\plus still applies, even up to $10k.

The price just keeps climbing when you get into the details. Pulling the windshield, trims and ancillaries like roof racks.

I’ve always timed my major resprays around insurance mishaps. The only deal I’ve ever been able to strike is when the vehicle is already in the shop for other covered body work. The difference between ins repainting 1/2 the vehicle and you doing the other half is much less than footing the bill for the entire car.

It’s a he’ll of a lot easier and less costly to totally respray a vehicle that’s already prep’d for a 1/2 respray. I even went as far on one vehicle to turn in a separate, but simultaneous claim on an already cracked windshield to coordinate the glass being pulled at the cost of the Ins deductible.

When you’ve got a vehicle you really like, a total respray gets the pop from new paint & brite work. It’s exciting to drive and other people really appreciate it because it’s nice to look at.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a longer reach from $5k, but that +\plus still applies, even up to $10k.

The price just keeps climbing when you get into the details. Pulling the windshield, trims and ancillaries like roof racks.

I’ve always timed my major resprays around insurance mishaps. The only deal I’ve ever been able to strike is when the vehicle is already in the shop for other covered body work. The difference between ins repainting 1/2 the vehicle and you doing the other half is much less than footing the bill for the entire car.

It’s a he’ll of a lot easier and less costly to totally respray a vehicle that’s already prep’d for a 1/2 respray. I even went as far on one vehicle to turn in a separate, but simultaneous claim on an already cracked windshield to coordinate the glass being pulled at the cost of the Ins deductible.

When you’ve got a vehicle you really like, a total respray gets the pop from new paint & brite work. It’s exciting to drive and other people really appreciate it because it’s nice to look at.
Well yeah but that’s only if you have an accident or some other mishap resulting in damage. Something I’m trying to avoid at all costs right now because I can’t afford insurance going up. So it might benefit to do it that way it doesn’t always work out so easily unfortunately.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The old scuff n shoot didn’t work but on the hood of our 08 YXL. The clear product GM originally used was activated by applying new product on top of it. It was gorgeous paint that was peeling like a bad sunburn.

The hood had to be removed again and painfully stripped all the way to bare, then built back up from primer. It was an expensive lesson for the shop to learn about GM’s tatty clear coat used on their 2 step paints. The product on the three step metallic paints are far more resilient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia