Budget drop for Z71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I picked up a nice loaded 2004 Tahoe Z71 recently, and while there are lots of things I like about it the ride isn't one. It really seems to bounce or sway side to side, it tramlines (follows the ruts in the Oregon roads) and feels very stiff and tippy. A far cry from our BMW wagon. Duh, I know.

My first change will be to swap the 22" wheels and 305/45 tires for the stock 265/70r17 on stock Z71 wheels and see how that helps. It should definitely help reduce the tramlining and also lower it 1/2". We'll see how it improves the ride.

Next up is suspension. I am not working while I start a business so I'm on a tight budget, and I'm looking for cheap alternatives. I'm very comfortable turning a wrench.

How much will I gain by going with used LS/LT springs / bars and shocks, both in ride comfort and lowered height?

I will keep my eyes peeled for used lowering kits, it sounds like Belltech has the best ride. I don't want to slam it, probably just 2-3 " drop to help the handling.

Anyone running PPV suspension on a 4x4? That's about where I'd like it to sit.

I do plan on towing a small trailer, so I like having the nivomatic rear shocks.

Other cheap ideas?

Thanks!

Oh, and here's a shot of how she sits today:

picture.jpg

Last edited:

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I picked up a nice loaded 2004 Tahoe Z71 recently, and while there are lots of things I like about it the ride isn't one. It really seems to bounce or sway side to side, it tramlines (follows the ruts in the Oregon roads) and feels very stiff and tippy. A far cry from our BMW wagon. Duh, I know.

My first change will be to swap the 22" wheels and 305/45 tires for the stock 265/70r17 on stock Z71 wheels and see how that helps. It should definitely help reduce the tramlining and also lower it 1/2". We'll see how it improves the ride.

Next up is suspension. I am not working while I start a business so I'm on a tight budget, and I'm looking for cheap alternatives. I'm very comfortable turning a wrench.

How much will I gain by going with used LS/LT springs / bars and shocks, both in ride comfort and lowered height?

I will keep my eyes peeled for used lowering kits, it sounds like Belltech has the best ride. I don't want to slam it, probably just 2-3 " drop to help the handling.

Anyone running PPV suspension on a 4x4? That's about where I'd like it to sit.

I do plan on towing a small trailer, so I like having the nivomatic rear shocks.

Other cheap ideas?

Thanks!

Oh, and here's a shot of how she sits today:

picture.jpg

Your prolly better off with the 22's vs. stock wheel/tire combo because stock setup will have more sidewall which will equal more sidewall flex which will give you more swaying. And for a lowering kit you can get drop keys for around $75 and some lowering springs around $150 maybe. And I would suggest new lowering shocks because they'll be shorter.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Y lower the z71.... Its like ur cutting its balls off..... But yea just get the lower keys.....

Suburbinator

Reaction score
Swap to the OEM wheels/tires you mentioned and go from there. It should improve many things, especially if the current tires have high miles.

I upgraded to Hellwig front and rear anti swaybars(before altering OEM springs and shocks) and the performance increase is noticeable.

OP
OP
J

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the original wheels swapped on tonight. It drives much better, but we've only driven it across town and back, haven't hit the highway yet. She dropped between 1/2" and 1" depending on my crude measurements, I didn't have time to let it settle I just did before and after measurements.

I also weighed the wheels. The stock wheel weighed 61 lbs, the 22" wheel/tires weigh 91 lbs! Sweet fancy Moses that's heavy. I'm thinking any benefit from reduced sidewall flex is cancelled out by increased unsprung weight.

Suburbinator - I like the swaybar idea, I'll look into that.

Here's how she looks now, pretty stock:

IMG_0873.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Y lower the z71.... Its like ur cutting its balls off..... But yea just get the lower keys.....

I didn't buy the Z71 specifically for it's off road package. I liked the look, it has pretty much every available option including rear captains chairs and the rear DVD player, it was well maintained, and the price was right. I can always swap back the suspension if we do ever take that trip to Mexico we're talking about.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
front djm drop keys and rear drop springs 2 inches would do the truck and cheap.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
i lowered my z71 w/ keys and coils... made my truck ride so bad I finally removed the lowering kit... i couldnt handle it. Loved the way it looked, hated the way it drove... recently put a lift kit on.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
like ive todl people before more than 1 inch do the belltech spindles in rear the kit i have set up with shock extenders rides great. THis is the same kit i used on my truck.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
i have rear shock extenders... problem was my truck spent most of its time riding on the bump stops... and the rear coils were stiff as ****...

I was not able to do the free travel mod, which I understand makes the truck ride much better, because my wheels are so GD wide (12"+)

front spindles might have been better, but the rear was bouncy. If I had it to do over again (and had more money) .... I would get drop coils for a trailblazer (softer), front spindles, remove the bump stops and get narrower wheels.

my truck looked boss as ****, but rode like shit... plain and simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts