Broken door handle. I hate theives.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ROGELIO A GUZMAN

ROGELIO A GUZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I considered that, but then I heard thieves would punch through the door metal, JUST as easily; I figured replacing door handles would be cheaper that the whole door, or body work.
Yeah. When I got my Denali ,the key hole was already tampered with. Key didn't work. Then they finally broke it that last time. So I just figured to put a rear handle. I also removed the metal bar that unlocks the door.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also removed the metal bar that unlocks the door.
I think that would be pretty effective, except for a couple things:

How do you unlock the door?
Have you removed it for all your doors?
Do you have any concerns about them simply breaking a window?

I put a lot of thought into this, so I'm constantly looking for someone who has better ideas than me.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Jimmy Jammer for my internal locking mechanisms.
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but if you google a little more about those Jimmy Jammers, what they do is cause people to go through your sheet metal or a window. :-( I seriously considered those myself.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but if you google a little more about those Jimmy Jammers, what they do is cause people to go through your sheet metal or a window. :-( I seriously considered those myself.
There's always gonna be a downside to any conclusion. I just wanted to slow them down enough where they'd just move on. Of course this is in conjunction with my Viper alarm.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's always gonna be a downside to any conclusion. I just wanted to slow them down enough where they'd just move on. Of course this is in conjunction with my Viper alarm.
That's cool. My thoughts were that it was easier to replace the handle and the locks. I just wish there were a way to make it seriously difficult. I mean, I know there is not escaping a determined thief. I just want to make it obviously difficult enough they'll go elsewhere. And afford an armed guard or to bury it in the desert... :cool:

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old Irish Grandfather used to say "Locks only stop honest people. If they want it they will do whatever it takes to get it". And through my life experiences I've seen thieves literally destroy the container to get to the contents. They'll bull rush the door, smash the window, even chain an ATM to the back of a duel axle pick up truck and yank it off it's bolted to the concrete pedestal. If they want it they're going to do whatever it takes to get it. I guess it comes down to what are you willing to spend to keep them from getting it.

On a similar note, I went to a friends party and his brother found out that I was looking to get a Flathead Harley. He offered to give me the frame of his 60's Flathead, which at first I thought was pretty nice of him. When I asked him about why he wanted to part with it he told me "It's been stolen & stripped 7 times. Each time the only thing the police were able to get back was the frame!" He rebuilt it each time except the seventh time. It just wasn't worth the time & money. Sometimes you just have to know when to say "Enough is enough". For him it was 7...What's your number?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree! If somebody want something, they will do whatever it takes to get it.

I do lock my Tahoe. But, I recently had a 2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon. With soft top on that daily driver all year, there was no point in locking the doors just to have someone cut the side widow panel so get in. Three years of never, ever locking it. Even in the "city". Friends were shocked and surprised nothing ever happened. Nothing ever got messed with or stolen. I never kept valuables in there anyway.

In the late 70's, my brother had a 67 Firebird convertible. Twice, he had the soft top slashed by thieves, only to have pocket change and a pair of cheap sunglasses stolen. Never stole the entire car! Just snatching the easy stuff in the console... He might have been less pissed, if the whole car was taken! Instead, he had to pay a deductible one time and out of pocket the second time. His insurance rates went through the roof (literally)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts