Brembo brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if the master cylinder or brake booster need to be upgraded to get the full benefit of going with bigger calipers? Sure, they cover more surface area, but the "bite pressure" remains the same. Im probably over thinking this, but it seems to me that just swapping calipers reduces heat/brake fade from a large pad coverage over stock? Can someone school me on this?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering if the master cylinder or brake booster need to be upgraded to get the full benefit of going with bigger calipers? Sure, they cover more surface area, but the "bite pressure" remains the same. Im probably over thinking this, but it seems to me that just swapping calipers reduces heat/brake fade from a large pad coverage over stock? Can someone school me on this?
Short answer, no. I have the Wilwood 16”/14” kit. The MC is fine. Antilock works fine too. Everything works awesome. If the MC needed to be upgraded, believe me Brembo or Wilwood would state so. Their systems are engineered to work with the existing equipment on your truck.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be fine with the Brembos. No need to supersize anything. BUT clean fluid is good - thay means flushing out the lines by bleeding...
Not sure about Brembo but Wilwood states to completely flush the fluid in the instructions. My kit came with their high-temp fluid.

noobsquared

Reaction score
Brembos installed. As expected the kit literally fell on with no BS. Took an hour from start to finish including bleeding. I didn’t get crazy with it yet but it definitely stops better than the EBC Yellowstuff pads (which are still on the rear and still ugly). The Brembos modulate better than the EBC pads which are grabby because they’re so aggressive. The pedal also feels better. So far I’m very happy.

View attachment 275818
Thank you for sharing your progress. As someone who is about to trade his 2009 Tahoe in because I've taken it to 3 different dealerships and all say that brakes are fine. I have 1.5" pedal travel before the brakes bite at all. Even then there is no way to modulate. After new front OEM calipers, new oem pads all around, new rotors, new oem brake booster, and multiple pressure bleeds including 2 at the dealer, I still have zero confidence in my brakes. Once you order this kit, how do you order replacement rotors or pads?
What about the brake bias? Is it too much in the front or causing it to lock up prematurely? I've had tons of GM products over the years but nothing had brakes this bad, IMHO

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brembos installed. As expected the kit literally fell on with no BS. Took an hour from start to finish including bleeding. I didn’t get crazy with it yet but it definitely stops better than the EBC Yellowstuff pads (which are still on the rear and still ugly). The Brembos modulate better than the EBC pads which are grabby because they’re so aggressive. The pedal also feels better. So far I’m very happy.

View attachment 275818
dont know how i missed this picture. did you also do the rear? you up for compiling a list of what you boought? im really contemplating this upgrade. hoping i can run this set using my oem 22" escalade wheels

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rears are stock. I just changed them to the Power Stop reman red calipers to match the front. The front I just bought the K2 GM Brembo accessory kit. It comes with the rotors, calipers, and new banjo bolts. I wish they offered other colors because the bright red was not my first pick to go with my Infrared paint but I'm hoping to buy another kit at some point and have them powder coated and I'll swap this kit over to my Yukon since bright red will look awesome behind black wheels on a silver Yukon. Even the wife said they'd look better on hers so it will be happening! I just bought a clutch for my SS so it'll have to wait.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony is selling this kit. Thinking of replacing my calipers at the next rotor replacement. Sounds like a good deal but the face of those calipers look like crap to me

Screenshot_20220610-084030_Instagram.jpg

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with my basic power stop drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads I got their powdered calipers also. I had to lock em up coming down the highrise bridge the other day and surprisingly stopped damn near on a dime I thought it was going to be it but after that experience it’s given me a lot more faith in my setup for what it is and the price compared to the Brembo kit they are definitely worth it (500$+\-) but then again if I had the extra money to blow I would go with the brembos or Wilwoods 0D31248D-8FBE-4F0B-AFA6-233254D95362.jpeg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Uhh, this is bad. You’re describing what sounds like a blown brake booster or the MC is toast and only operating the front or rear brakes.

Hitting the brakes w/o modulation is bad. I’d get up some speed (40-50 mph) on a secluded road and stab the brake pedal to see if ABS kicks in or if front or rear lock up.

No, not normal at all.

Thank you for sharing your progress. As someone who is about to trade his 2009 Tahoe in because I've taken it to 3 different dealerships and all say that brakes are fine. I have 1.5" pedal travel before the brakes bite at all. Even then there is no way to modulate. After new front OEM calipers, new oem pads all around, new rotors, new oem brake booster, and multiple pressure bleeds including 2 at the dealer, I still have zero confidence in my brakes. Once you order this kit, how do you order replacement rotors or pads?
What about the brake bias? Is it too much in the front or causing it to lock up prematurely? I've had tons of GM products over the years but nothing had brakes this bad, IMHO