Brand of gas and MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08OLP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I live in a small town not a hole lot of choices but i always stop at the busiest one i think the gas at these smaller gas station could sit in there tanks for months. When i go to the big city HAHA and fill up at a QT or shell i think it does run smother dont know about MPGS.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay ... as an example, here's what happens in the DC area: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-investigation/2011/05/13/AFUtrx5G_story.html

Basically one distributor for the entire area. Anti-trust and price fixing issues aside, pretty much all the gas stations around here get their gas from the same pipeline and distributor. This arrangement is the case more often than not in many parts of the states ... sometimes a couple of distributors will compete but there are almost never, as I understand it, 1 distributor for every 1 fuel brand name.

Now, you wanna tell me that you're seeing significant mpg variance between different fuel brands simply because they have a slightly different mix of heavily regulated additives, so be it ...

The only way to really know is by filling up, putting the truck on rollers, set the cruse at a constant speed, and see how much fuel of each brand was used over a constant time frame.

Seems like a lot of effort though. :)

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i live in so cal and we have refineries for each brand all over the place in the south bay. i used to work for exxon about 20+ years ago and i know we never filled a truck for say 76 or arco.

Bryansan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my Denali must hate me. I fill her up with the cheapest 87 I can find, which right now in socal is about $4.10 p/gl. I tank typically nets me 350-400 miles or so, and if I believe the DIC, it's about 12.6 mpg.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a lot of factors to consider, such as are you actually getting 91 octane. Did the pump get calibrated and actually give you 10 gallons and not 9.5. In my area gas stations are sometimes shady.

jee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so when my truck was stock with a k and n drop n filter and a magnaflow muffler i was getting 19mpg...after 22's, mid grade bb tune i get 16.5mpg...also, when justin did my tune the octane count in my gas was 83, i got it from a shell...so now i usually get chevron or exxon midgrade petrol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9

Latest posts