Update 5/2/21 - Bounce and Porpoising - Especially Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading through this thread I’m so jealous that I’m only rolling in a half ton Denali, especially for my towing requirements. Lol. I would love to be able to tow with a 2500 XL.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading through this thread I’m so jealous that I’m only rolling in a half ton Denali, especially for my towing requirements. Lol. I would love to be able to tow with a 2500 XL.

Bro,
You have the right ride....6.0L and don't denalis have auto-leveling.

I bought this sub a few years back to go on Jet-Ski camping trips (where they don't have hotels).
6.2, 10spd and it hauls butt.
Its only a 1/2 ton but it has auto leveling and when I realized it could easily tow my 25ft trailer with another car in it (about 8Klbs) I sold
the 2500 RAM cummins, which just sat around waiting for a tow job. I sheet you not, the sub tows just as good as the RAM did
Gets a little worse gas mileage when towing (10 vs 13), but when not towing it gets like 27mpg on the highway. GM-techno-magic.

Sub1.jpg

I ripped the seats out and slid in a queen so I can cool down and sleep back there.
I'd rather camp with A/C and Bose than pitch a tent...especially when its 95 at night.

Sub2.jpg

And I fit this bubble insulation stuff from Home Depot in the windows for cooling and privacy.
It works really good....except I don't have bug screens (to crack the windows)....still have to figure that one out.
Sub3.jpg

But its only a 1/2 ton and it tows really well.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bro,
You have the right ride....6.0L and don't denalis have auto-leveling.

I bought this sub a few years back to go on Jet-Ski camping trips (where they don't have hotels).
6.2, 10spd and it hauls butt.
Its only a 1/2 ton but it has auto leveling and when I realized it could easily tow my 25ft trailer with another car in it (about 8Klbs) I sold
the 2500 RAM cummins, which just sat around waiting for a tow job. I sheet you not, the sub tows just as good as the RAM did
Gets a little worse gas mileage when towing (10 vs 13), but when not towing it gets like 27mpg on the highway. GM-techno-magic.

View attachment 277556

I ripped the seats out and slid in a queen so I can cool down and sleep back there.
I'd rather camp with A/C and Bose than pitch a tent...especially when its 95 at night.

View attachment 277557

And I fit this bubble insulation stuff from Home Depot in the windows for cooling and privacy.
It works really good....except I don't have bug screens (to crack the windows)....still have to figure that one out.
View attachment 277558

But its only a 1/2 ton and it tows really well.
Oh I know my Denali tows well. Lol. I pull a 4300lb sea ray speed boat up and down the mountain for a close family friend. My Denali is an NBS though with a 6.0 and a 4L65E trans. Wish I had a 6 speed.... but it’s ok. I have the factory Z55 air suspension. I’ve replaced arnott shocks and they work quite well. I did add airlift 1000 air bags in my rear coil springs for added stability and leveling. Best mod ever. My one complaint is that going up the mountain I’m not winning any races. Lol. Granted I’m not trying to haul ass, but i wish it had just a little more get up and go umph when it comes to going up the mountain. Although I read up above the OP has the same 6.0 in his 2500 but he has 4.10s and he said he really likes that combo. I may look into re-gearing, purely for the sake of towing, for this year. That may help with the grades and the mountain parts of my towing.
Here’s my towing set up:

E54A6567-98D1-4111-97C2-9301ED5E653F.jpeg 6A133C89-81E9-4A76-ABD8-A946A90C73DE.jpeg 7990BDED-CCBF-4B0E-AAF8-2E936DD036ED.jpeg

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I know my Denali tows well. Lol. I pull a 4300lb sea ray speed boat up and down the mountain for a close family friend. My Denali is an NBS though with a 6.0 and a 4L65E trans. Wish I had a 6 speed.... but it’s ok. I have the factory Z55 air suspension. I’ve replaced arnott shocks and they work quite well. I did add airlift 1000 air bags in my rear coil springs for added stability and leveling. Best mod ever. My one complaint is that going up the mountain I’m not winning any races. Lol. Granted I’m not trying to haul ass, but i wish it had just a little more get up and go umph when it comes to going up the mountain. Although I read up above the OP has the same 6.0 in his 2500 but he has 4.10s and he said he really likes that combo. I may look into re-gearing, purely for the sake of towing, for this year. That may help with the grades and the mountain parts of my towing.
Here’s my towing set up:

View attachment 277597 View attachment 277598 View attachment 277599

Yeah,
I truly wish GM Performance would offer a 10L90E controller that integrates with earlier models.
All they need to do is build an integration box, probably a few months work for them.
The older models would be faster, able to tow more easily, and more fuel efficient, but it would just kill new model sales.
Why would you want a new $85K Tahoe if you could transform a 20 year old one for $6K.

I gotta figure out a way of getting the L86/10L90E into my Tahoe. Or at least that transmission.
I know it can't be don't but that would be so awesome.
My sub just smokes every Raptor to 100mph....wish my Tahoe could do that.

Jeff O

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
+1 on tongue weight comment.
I use Bilstein 5100 with reservoirs on my tow rig. Works great with and without the trailer.
Taz

My '03 Tahoe has Nivomat self leveling shocks. Don't know what years this was a factory option. They work great, but I've not tried them to the full GVW. research how they work by Googling. They are not cheap ~$300 each.

Jeff O

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My '03 Tahoe has Nivomat self leveling shocks. Don't know what years this was a factory option. They work great, but I've not tried them to the full GVW. research how they work by Googling. They are not cheap ~$300 each.

Nivomats have also been discussed in prior forum posts. NAPA is one source.

Tshezz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 05 escalade which I replaced all the shocks and rear springs with a kit from suncore industries. I bought the kit with the helper springs for the rear shocks. Got rid of stock airbags as they were shot and compressor was shot. I am towing around a 30' travel trailer ~6700 empty.

rzabel

Reaction score
I tow a similar sized trailer with a similar Yukon XL 2500 all over the west, including Canada and Mexico and don't have that problem. I have an EAZ Lift WD hitch and 4600 Bilsteins, but otherwise stock suspension. I run 285/75/16 Michelin LTX and run them at 50 psi front 80 psi rear, just like the door label. I've always been impressed by the ride, but I don't have a half ton to compare it to. I don't really have any suggestions, sounds like you're doing everything right, just providing another data point.

Mr Dan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
LOL....That 5.3/3.42 combo must have been crying it eyes out going up grades with a 28ft trailer.

Every tow vehicle needs needs to be tuned to the application.
Keep working on it....I'm sure you'll get there.
You should be towing in comfort, not getting bounced around.

One thing I do pay attention to is "loaded" weight centered OVER the trailer axles....as much as possible.
I don't know if that is a toy hauler or not.
Do you have a rock buggy, quads, motorcycles or heavy stuff in the back?

Since the 1500s towed it "in comfort" it sounds like you have a tow vehicle issue...So keep working on it.
Because that Yukon XL 2500 with 6.0 / 4.10 is a BadAss tow vehicle....and in the snow? OMG its a tractor especially with chains.
I am so missing mine now.

I don't know how much you paid for it, but out west here, clean 02-06 2500/6.0 subs with < 100K mileage are fetching like $15K-$20K.
I see contractors using them for their work trucks, just pop out the rear seats and you have a secured, enclosed long bed.

Mr Dan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For sleeping in the back of our NBS we use a lightweight roll of nylon screen and magnetic tape strips. After a little adjusting, instant window screens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins